How do you know if they became a citizen?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nmaritch
Rookie
Rookie

How do you know if they became a citizen?

Postby nmaritch » 21 Mar 2010, 00:19

Hello,
How do you know if someone became a citizen? I have many relatives that came from Italy and other parts of Europe. They lived here and died here, they may have even had a social security number. But how do I know if they became citizens. And then where would I go to look for records.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: How do you know if they became a citizen?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Mar 2010, 12:53

The definitive answer, if after 1905, is to request an "Index Search" from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service or USCIS ( http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD ). If the Index Search turns up a citizenship file ("C" File), then you would follow up with a "Records Request" to obtain the actual documents.

For naturalizations which occured prior to 1906, you have a much more difficult search which involves the local courts in the town/city where the naturalization may have been performed.

Many but by no means all naturalization records can be found online at pay and/or free sites such as ancestry . com, http://italiangen.org and http://www.footnote.com

If you have located your ancestor's arrival ship manifests, look for some numeric notations usually written just to the right of the given name column. Notations such as "2-762894", "6-4367" along with a date ("2/13/35") are a good indication that the person began the citizenship process though do not prove that he/she actually completed it.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Mar 2010, 14:27

First place I would start is looking at census records. Then I would go to ships" manifests. Actually, I would start with family records, looking through old papers, finding out if they ever voted.

nmaritch
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nmaritch » 21 Mar 2010, 14:35

Well, I have several of my relatives ships manifests. So far I have only one number. If they had more than one manifest, would it be on all of them, or on just the last one.

Thanks,
NM

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Mar 2010, 17:10

nmaritch wrote:Well, I have several of my relatives ships manifests. So far I have only one number. If they had more than one manifest, would it be on all of them, or on just the last one.

Thanks,
NM

The last one.

When the applicant filed a "Declaration of Intent" they had to speicfy when they entered the US and by what means. The records were then verifed to ensure that the applicant entered the country legally.

See this message for additional info.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”