census records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

census records

Post by belmoro19 »

hello everyone. I have spoken with the philaddelphia consulate about a missing a marriage certificate for my grandparents. it cannot be located anywhere.they advised me that i could use a copy of a census if i can find it i was wonering if anyone could tell me if there is a way to search a 1940, 1950 and 1960 census record. they were married around this time.when i have searched the last census i could find is the 1930 census.any help would be appreciated.thanks my appintment is february 2011
pink67
Master
Master

Re: census records

Post by pink67 »

I believe you can ask for census after 1930 here:

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/dat ... index.html

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The 1940 census will not be available to the general public until 2012. Prior to that date, you can obtain copies of individual sections only if you yourself are a named individual on that particular record. See http://www.1930census.com/1940_census.php for more info.

Regardless, from a purely technical perspective, it should not be necessary to provide proof of marriage in any way, shape, or form. For jure sanguinis purposes, you do not need to be a "legitimate" child, you only need to prove that you have Italian blood coursing through your veins.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, you can explain better?
on ancestry.com, the 1940 and 1950 censuses are no available ( and 1960... equally!), only in some state, it are the substitutes ( phone directory); if you can provide more details...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Thank you for responses. I thought the same thing about the marriage record but on the consulates they state that they want all documents.Iam going to try and do this without it and see what happens.

Suanj,
My grnadparents were married between 1940 and 1950.they lived in philadelphia and southern new jersey doing those years.I am not sure the exact date at all when they could have been married.they are both deceased.i thought maybe having the census would give me the answers but if it's not available there is nothing i can do. thank you again
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the site I wrote in my previous message:

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/dat ... index.html

Genealogy Data: Age Search Service
The Census Bureau provides an "age search" service to the public. We will search the confidential records from the Federal population censuses of 1910 to 2000 and issue an official transcript of the results (for a congressionally mandated fee).

NOTE: Information can be released only to the named person, his/her heirs, or legal representatives.

Individuals can use these transcripts, which may contain information on a person’s age, sex, race, State or country of birth, and relationship to the householder, as evidence to qualify for social security and other retirement benefits, in making passport applications, to prove relationship in settling estates, in genealogy research, etc., or to satisfy other situations where a birth or other certificate may be needed but is not available.

For questions regarding the age search service, please contact the National Processing Center at (812) 218-3046. Their fax number is (812) 288-3371.

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Very good, Laura.

The fee appears to be $65 to search for one person on one census. More info: http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/dat ... index.html
Carmine

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

belmoro19 wrote:Thank you for responses. I thought the same thing about the marriage record but on the consulates they state that they want all documents.Iam going to try and do this without it and see what happens.

Suanj,
My grnadparents were married between 1940 and 1950.they lived in philadelphia and southern new jersey doing those years.I am not sure the exact date at all when they could have been married.they are both deceased.i thought maybe having the census would give me the answers but if it's not available there is nothing i can do. thank you again
you searched in Philadelphia marriage indexes 1885/1951?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH