My first real document challenges

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

My first real document challenges

Postby jbp1966 » 08 Apr 2010, 18:10

I met with the Consulate officer in Houston today to go over the documents that I have to see if everything checked out. They do not. The docs I thought might be a problem were not, and the 2 docs I considered to be in order were not. Here are the details:

1) My birth certificate: The state I was born in - Missouri - does not include the name of the city of birth. They list the county, and obviously the state of birth. What do I do about this? I emailed the Missouri Vital Records Deptartment requesting how to proceed.

2) Need Marriage Certificate AND Marriage License Application: I found another user of this site had the same problem and I will try the method he used.

I was just wondering if anyone else had these issue and what was done to resolve them.

Thanks in advance

-jbp

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: My first real document challenges

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Apr 2010, 18:18

1) That is odd; why would they do that? Did you get the certificate from the state vital records department? If so, perhaps one obtained from the "local health department" ( http://www.dhss.mo.gov/BirthAndDeathRecords/index.html ) would have the additional information on it. Check first to ensure that you can get the local document apostilled - in some states you can, in others you cannot.

2) I understand that some states no longer file/keep marriage license applications. If Missouri is one of those, I would think a letter to that effect would solve the problem. If you haven't done so already, be sure to check the local (city/town/county) clerk's office; perhaps the applications are filed locally and not forwarded to the state office.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jbp1966 » 08 Apr 2010, 19:30

#1: My father went to the DHSS office in Jeff City and got my birth certificate and mailed it to me. I'm at a loss as to why the certificate omits the city of birth. I just looked at the Application for copy of Birth or Death Certification and the form asks what city the person was born in. Vexing to say the least. I'll try what you suggest if I don't get a reasonably answer from the DHSS.

#2 in my initial post, I failed to state that my marriage certificate and Marriage Certificate Application is from Texas, where I now live. Additionally, the person I mentioned in my initial post had success with the same problem I have. His post is here if anyone wants to see it: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... uston.html

Thanks for the help.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Apr 2010, 22:40

If Missouri birth certificates simply do not state the city of birth, perhaps a letter from the local official to the effect of, "State of Missouri birth certificates do not by law indicate the city of birth, however by my signature below, I certify that our records indicate that John Doe was born in the city of xxxxxxx on January 1, 1950."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jbp1966 » 08 Apr 2010, 23:31

Missouri issued birth certificate issue is resolved: I spoke with the Vital Records office and they said to request a copy of the "long form" birth certificate. Placed my order about 2 hours ago. It costs the same as the "short form" birth record, which makes me wonder why bother having two different forms, or make the long form the default?...? Nonetheless, issue resolved. Now on the the Marriage License Application issue.

Thx,

-jbp

jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jbp1966 » 09 Apr 2010, 17:31

Harris County retains Marriage License Applications and I just returned from the county clerk's office and got a copy of my Marriage License Application. Apostille and translation are next!

Getting these last two documents completes my list of required documents. I can request an appointment to submit everything next week!!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”