Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jcira

Italian Citizenship

Postby jcira » 13 Apr 2010, 00:56

My Great Grandparents were both born in Sicily and my Grandfather was born here in 1901.My Great Grandfather did not become a citizen here till 1948.Would I be eligible for a Italian Citizenship and how do I go about it?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Apr 2010, 02:19

From your very limited description above, yes it appears that you would qualify.

The exact documentation requirements depend to a great extent on where you will file your application (generally, which Italian consulate) and that is determined by your place of legal residence. Would you mind telling us the city (or county) and state where you live?

The minimum documentation you would need would be as follows:

Your own birth certificate plus marriage and divorce certificates, if applicable

The birth, marriage, and death (if applicable) certificates of the next person in your Italian lineage - your father or mother.

The birth, marriage, and death (if applicable) certificates of the next person in your Italian lineage - your grandfather or grandmother.

The birth, marriage, and death (if applicable) certificates of the next person in your Italian lineage - your great-grandfather.

Your great-grandfather's naturalization documents.

These comprise the "minimum package" and there are several requirements that each of these documents must meet. Some consulates also require the birth & death certificates of spouses for each generation as well.

Keep in mind that, if you are going through the female side of any generation, there is the nasty "1948 rule" to contend with. This says that Italian citizenship was passed only by the father prior to January 1, 1948. If, for example, you wanted to go great-grandfather -> grandmother -> father -> yourself, it would be imperative that your father was born on or after January 1, 1948.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”