Received G-1041 Index Search Request Letter.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
zeliack

Received G-1041 Index Search Request Letter.

Post by zeliack »

I received the index search request letter today and although I was hoping for 'no record', there was one. I presume that means my ggf naturalized.

Will I need to send in a record request to find out the naturalization date? Or should the index search request letter have it listed. There is a date listed in the letter, but I'm unsure if that is a naturalization date or death date.

If necessary, i'd be happy to scan and post the letter to this topic.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Although I am still trying to understand the overall process, I'm trying to make sure I qualify first before putting in the abundance of money for all the birth certificate, etc. Pointers, advice and tips are loved ^_^
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Received G-1041 Index Search Request Letter.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What did the letter say?

An index search can return various types of "hits". An "A" record, for example, is an Alien Registration record and does not indicate naturalization.

On the other hand, a "C" record (C for Citizenship) would be another matter.

Ideally, your ancestor did naturalize though obviously after the birth of his/her child. The consulates have been getting more and more difficult in cases of no naturalization, demanding multiple levels of proof. So, a timely naturalization is actually much easier to deal with.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
zeliack

Post by zeliack »

I believe this to be a C record.

I THINK my great-grandfather died in 1941. (no proof)
My grandfather was born in 1921 i think. I am texting my cousin to verify. (our gf hates us all, so i can't ask him)

HOPEFULLY that 1935 date is a naturalization date or something!

http://imgur.com/1Kflf.jpg
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You had better start making up with your grandfather.

Assuming everything else is in your favor, you will require your grandfather's death certificate or his signed and notarized statement concerning the places he has lived and attesting that he never formally renounced Italian citizenship. It is not clear that all consulates require this statement; I know for a fact that New York City does...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
zeliack

Post by zeliack »

D:

That's horrific. Not a single family member is on his good side once they are out of diapers. (no joke =\)

Btw, did you see the letter? was the 1935 date the naturalization date? Does this mean I should send in the 1041A form now? If so, do i get the normal one or the ummm...

To request only the certificate, write "Dual Citz--Natz Certificate Only" on your request form G-1041A or in the "optional information section" of your online request.

do i only get the certificate?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Sorry, I did not see the letter until just now.

It appears that your great-grandfather did indeed naturalize in 1935. You are in luck!

Where (approximately is fine) do you live? Your legal residence determines at which consulate you will submit your application.
Carmine

zeliack

Post by zeliack »

Yay! Fantastic! :)
I currently reside in Houston, Texas.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: When you order the "C file", you will get all available documents. Typically this means the Declaration of Intent, Certificate of Arrival, Petition for Naturalization (which includes the Oath of Allegiance), and the Certificate of Naturalization.

Last time I did this, there was an option to request an "electronic copy" of the certificate. Be sure to check this (no extra charge); the photocopies from USCIS can be impossible to read. Electronic image files are much better.
Carmine

zeliack

Post by zeliack »

Oh ok so pretty much i just need to ask for the certificate. electronic copy preferred. Gotcha! Thank you!!

I guess I can now safely go gather the entire bundle of things like birth/marriage/death certs. Thanks again ^_^

I can't think of anything to ask of you right now, but if you have any advice: I'm more than delighted to hear it! Hopefully I can finish this as soon as possible. :o
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Houston consulate page on citizenship: http://www.conshouston.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/

Read the part under "Ancestors" about requesting Guidelines. Might be helpful.

In fact, will definitely be helpful. It is important when collecting certificates that you get the correct format. Read up on "long form" vs "short form" documents - you don't want to pay for a bunch of short form certificates only to have to replace them all with their long form versions...
Carmine

zeliack

Post by zeliack »

Hmm....i clicked the scheme link b/c it says i need to do that before getting the guidelines.

I assume under the first section it would be ggf and that the full name I would use Pete Bisignano (even though I know him as Peter and i think his real name was Pietro Antonio Bisignano)

It then asks for father's information. That's fine and dandy but doesn't that mean it skips my grandfather?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Another thing: the price from USCIS is the same whether you get the entire file or just the certificate. I would get the entire file - lots of useful info like his place of birth, wife's name and place of birth, children's names, etc. Also (usually) a current photo.
Carmine

zeliack

Post by zeliack »

oh! ok

should i wait to get the bundle of certificates till after i get the record request back or is it fine to send them off simultaneously?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

On the "scheme", just add as many generations as necessary. In your case, great-grandfather -> grandfather -> father -> yourself.
Carmine

zeliack

Post by zeliack »

....darn.

I don't know the information for my grandfather...thanks for the info ^_^