Amending Marriage Records in New York State

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Amending Marriage Records in New York State

Postby liftnyc » 21 Apr 2010, 18:18

I have reached the first major hurdle in my application for Italian citzenship by descent.

I have obtained the marriage records of my GGGF (Italian ancestor) and my GGF, and discovered innacuracies on both. My family name is Assisi (on all other documents, including my ancestor's birth record from Italy).

On my GGGF's record, our family name is listed as Assizi

On my GGF's record (1931), our family name is listed as Assisti. My GGF's first name is listed as John instead of Giovanni. Both he, and his wife lied about their ages, I assume to circumvent the parental consent law. He was 16 at the time of marriage, and she was 19, but they list their ages as 22 and 21, respectively. Finally, his parents first names have been Americanized (Joseph instead of Giuseppe, Jennie instead of Giovanna).

Please note that all parties of both marriages are deceased. My family was very poor, and I have to assume, barely literate at the time of their respective marriages. Does anyone know how I can fix these New York State marriage records? Does anyone have any experience with obtaining court orders?

Re: Amending Marriage Records in New York State

Postby hollyolly7 » 27 May 2010, 17:23

I've got the same problem as well....from what I understood a marriage certificate is literally impossible to be changed. I think it depends state to state though but for me I was too looking to do it for a NYC marriage certificate. What I am going to try instead (we'll see what happens.....) is order the 1920 and 1930 census' which state their proper address (which corresponds with the address' on the certificates with the name discrepancies).
For me, that proves they are the same people.
For Italy, who knows.

To order the census' go to NARA's website. Hope that helps

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”