birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
alita

birth certificate

Postby alita » 26 Apr 2010, 00:05

ive sent a letter 3 weeks ago to an archivio di statto in Ascoli Piceno to obtain il ruolo matricolare or registro di leva of my gp.
no answer yet,should i send them an email , insist on it or go somewhere else ? i just gave them the year of birth but not the exact date.
if anyone is going through the same :roll:

mler
Master
Master

Re: birth certificate

Postby mler » 26 Apr 2010, 02:00

You're being a bit too impatient. I waited a good seven weeks for my gf's birth certificate, and I had given them the exact date and his parents' names.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 26 Apr 2010, 02:51

While, Mler is right, it is a bit too early, I have gone through this. I waited at least three months for a record, and got fed up, and sent them another letter. I'm still waiting. I've pretty much given up on recieving a reply from them by letter, it's too laborious. On the other hand I got a reply from a town with in ten days of emailing them. I think it depends on the comune. Some reply, some don't feel the need to.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Apr 2010, 08:49

I agree completely in regards to comuni; I have had extremely rapid responses to several requests made to my maternal grandparents comune but zero responses from letters and emails sent to my paternal grandparents comune.

On the other hand, the state archives usually seem to be much more consistent and timely. alita, where did you mail the request? Was it in italian?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

alita

Postby alita » 27 Apr 2010, 23:42

Hi

I sent mail to the Archivio di Statto di Ascoli Piceno where they keep the military records, the letter was in italian from a model i downloaded from geneitalia.com.ar.
I already wrote to the comuni with negative response. and based on the data of my grand fathers marriage record.That was some time ago.Nowadays they reply by email so i just thought the answer would be quickler.
thanks for your words.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Apr 2010, 01:48

johnnyonthespot wrote:I agree completely in regards to comuni; I have had extremely rapid responses to several requests made to my maternal grandparents comune but zero responses from letters and emails sent to my paternal grandparents comune.

On the other hand, the state archives usually seem to be much more consistent and timely. alita, where did you mail the request? Was it in italian?

I got a good response from Salerno archives but was never able to get the certificate. They wanted an international postal gram and Italian stamps mailed with my request for the document to be mailed back to me. I never figured out how to get that gram or where to get Italian stamps from.

Alicia

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 28 Apr 2010, 02:42

Alicia

Here is a way to get Italian Stamps

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy.com/stamps/

Debbie

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 28 Apr 2010, 14:48

I have sent many euros to the Salerno Archives. This is to cover cost of copying and postage. I use MoneyGram. EAch time I ask the Archives for the contact person and that is who I send the money to.

Example: ---person's name------, Salerno Archives

It get there every time. I am sure they give you and amount. You need to convert the euros requested to U.S. dollars and figure in the exchange rate plus cost of International postage. The people at the MoneyGram counter will help you with all that.

lilbees

p.s. I usually send a little over the amount requested "for the pot"
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Apr 2010, 15:11

They want 1,50 euros in a gram and stamps to mail the document back. So I pay MoneyGram in American dollars and they convert it to euros? Is that how that works? Im not even sure where a MoneyGram is by me. Ill have to google it. Thanks for the tip!

Alicia

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 28 Apr 2010, 15:18

You can find MoneyGram offices, which can be at your grocery store, pharmacy or standalone.

For what they are asking for I would just stick 10 or 15 bucks in an envelope and send it to them with a copy of the request. The moneygram will cost you anywhere from $9 to $11. Are you postive that it is 1,50 euros and not 6,50 euros. This is usually what I have to pay. The payment in that amount covers both postage and copying costs.

lilbees

I know, you shouldn't send money but sometimes this is all you can do.
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Apr 2010, 15:23

They said 1,50 for the document AND I have to supply the postage. So I would have to buy Italian stamps FIRST than send the gram, the document, the stamps and the request in one envelope.

You mean send American money?

Alicia

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 28 Apr 2010, 16:23

You may send all the money in Italian stamps, You can get them from http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy.com/stamps/

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 29 Apr 2010, 02:20

Thanks Livio, Carol is pretty quick.

lilbees

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 30 Apr 2010, 02:15

liviomoreno wrote:You may send all the money in Italian stamps, You can get them from http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy.com/stamps/

So you suggest instead of the money gram just send a bunch of stamps worth the same value? That would be much easier.

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”