divorce documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

divorce documents

Postby bmilazzo » 03 May 2010, 01:06

I'm applying on Boston. Does anyone know if I must submit my parents divorce documents? I have the divorce certificate - not contested. The STate is having trouble finding any additional documents.
Both parents are dead.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: divorce documents

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 May 2010, 01:26

They divorced after your birth? Or, they were both divorced from previous marriages, met, married, and you were born?

If the former, then the usual suggestion is that you simply don't bring up the subject at all, as it has no impact on your citizenship potential.

If the latter, then you would need to submit the divorce documents in order to show that the marriage which produced you was legitimate. Honestly, no one understands this requirement, since Italian law regarding jure sanguinis citizenship does not require that you be a legitimate child; merely that you can prove that your arteries contain true Italian blood. This can be the case regardless of your parent's marital status.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”