looking for citizenship info for my grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
peveltri

looking for citizenship info for my grandfather

Postby peveltri » 03 May 2010, 02:55

Hello,

I am trying to find naturalization info to see if I and my relatives qualify for Italian citizenship. I don't have any naturalization records. I have heard that people on this forum can help.

I am looking for naturalization info for my grandfather Giuseppe Veltri (changed his name to Joseph)who came to the US from Italy.

This is what I know:
Giuseppe (Joseph) Veltri
(son of Boneventura Veltri in Belmonte, Calabria, Italy)
b. 8/11/1896 in Belmonte, Calabria , Italy
d. 2/10/2004 Brooklyn, NY
m. Maria Vomero Veltri married in New York around 1920.

I do have a US passport issued in 1933 combined for my grandfather and father - with him (still Giuseppe) and my father (still Boneventura) both pictured. Apparently they issued joint passports for minors in those days. This gives his birth year as 1897, which he said in an error fom Ellis Island)

I understand Giuseppe came to the US at the age of 16 in 1912 or 13. I am interested in knowing if he was naturalized before his son Benjamin (born Boneventura in 1923 in New York). They also had a daughter Rose (b -1922), a daughter Jennie, and a daughter Francis.

I am primarily after this info, as it will tell me if I need to start digging for official records or not, I and my large extended family would certainly appreciate anything you might have.
Thank you very much!
- Paul Veltri

pink67
Master
Master

Re: looking for citizenship info for my grandfather

Postby pink67 » 03 May 2010, 06:31

Welcome to the Forum Paul :D

From Ancestry.com the Petition for the naturalization of your grandfather ( he became an american citizen on July 22, 1926 - Certificate number: 2321048):

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 (World Archives Project)
about Giuseppe Veltri
Name: Giuseppe Veltri
State: New York
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Southern District, New York
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 77418
Roll Description: (Roll 0524) Petition No. 119904 - Petition No. 120183
Archive: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Collection Title: Petitions for Naturalization from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1897-1944
Archive Series: M1972
Archive Roll: 356

page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsNpWxJ

page 2:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVcBsir

Laura

peveltri

Re: looking for citizenship info for my grandfather

Postby peveltri » 03 May 2010, 15:44

Laura -

Thank you so much for your help! I can't believe how fast your response came! This is just what we needed.

Thanks again!

Paul

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”