Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
somedude
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 22:17

Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby somedude » 07 May 2010, 22:15

Hi -

My mother was born in 1949 (after the cut off date of 1/1/1948) in Argentina and never became a US citizen (she is legal permanent resident of the US).

Her mother (my grandmother) was born in Argentina.

Her parents (my great grand mother and father) were Italian citizens who moved to Argentina.

I may be able to inherit Italian citizenship from them, correct?

What sort of information will I need to obtain from Argentina? Any websites with information for inheriting Italian citizenship from citizens of Argentina would be great. I am guessing that I will need the same information from Argentina that I would need from the US, right?

Best guess at what I will need:
GGF/GGM: Italian birth and marriage certificates. Argentine death certs.

GGF/GGM: Argentine naturalization records to show that GM was born before GGF/GGM became naturalized? Will I need this? I doubt that Argentina has complete census/naturalization records. If no naturalization records are found, do I need to get some sort of national archive information from Argentina? (similar to what I would do for US citizens of italian descent?)

GF/GM: Argentine birth, and marriage certificates. US death certs.

M: Argentine birth cert, US marriage cert.

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby Squigy » 08 May 2010, 01:09

somedude wrote:Hi -

My mother was born in 1949 (after the cut off date of 1/1/1948) in Argentina and never became a US citizen (she is legal permanent resident of the US).

Her mother (my grandmother) was born in Argentina.

Her parents (my great grand mother and father) were Italian citizens who moved to Argentina.

I may be able to inherit Italian citizenship from them, correct?

What sort of information will I need to obtain from Argentina? Any websites with information for inheriting Italian citizenship from citizens of Argentina would be great. I am guessing that I will need the same information from Argentina that I would need from the US, right?

Best guess at what I will need:
GGF/GGM: Italian birth and marriage certificates. Argentine death certs.

GGF/GGM: Argentine naturalization records to show that GM was born before GGF/GGM became naturalized? Will I need this? I doubt that Argentina has complete census/naturalization records. If no naturalization records are found, do I need to get some sort of national archive information from Argentina? (similar to what I would do for US citizens of italian descent?)

GF/GM: Argentine birth, and marriage certificates. US death certs.

M: Argentine birth cert, US marriage cert.


Based on the information given, this line is possible. So long as your grandmother was born before her parents were naturalized, then, I believe, you would qualify. Here is a good link:

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/index.php

Look around the website; I'm sure it could answer a lot of your questions. I wouldn't buy anything from them, but it is a pretty informative site.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
somedude
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 22:17

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby somedude » 08 May 2010, 03:32

Yup, thanks! Checked out that site a few times, but it doesn't seem to have much information about Argentina and what set of documents I would need in the event of no naturalization.

I'm going to be googling quite a bit to see what the process is for Argentine citizens to acquire Italian citizenship and then try to obtain the same set of documents.

This will not be easy; I have no clue how to get naturalization records from Argentina, and what to do if no records are found.

Any links, insight, or advice from others GREATLY appreciated.

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby Squigy » 08 May 2010, 04:12

somedude wrote:Yup, thanks! Checked out that site a few times, but it doesn't seem to have much information about Argentina and what set of documents I would need in the event of no naturalization.

I'm going to be googling quite a bit to see what the process is for Argentine citizens to acquire Italian citizenship and then try to obtain the same set of documents.

This will not be easy; I have no clue how to get naturalization records from Argentina, and what to do if no records are found.

Any links, insight, or advice from others GREATLY appreciated.


Just a suggestion - Why don't you try sending an email to a consulate in Argentina? They may be able to point you in the right direction, as far as documents are concerned. Here are a few consulates:

http://italianfamilysearch.com/dual_cit ... ntina.html
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
somedude
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 22:17

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby somedude » 08 May 2010, 05:44

Squigy wrote:
somedude wrote:Yup, thanks! Checked out that site a few times, but it doesn't seem to have much information about Argentina and what set of documents I would need in the event of no naturalization.

I'm going to be googling quite a bit to see what the process is for Argentine citizens to acquire Italian citizenship and then try to obtain the same set of documents.

This will not be easy; I have no clue how to get naturalization records from Argentina, and what to do if no records are found.

Any links, insight, or advice from others GREATLY appreciated.


Just a suggestion - Why don't you try sending an email to a consulate in Argentina? They may be able to point you in the right direction, as far as documents are concerned. Here are a few consulates:

http://italianfamilysearch.com/dual_cit ... ntina.html


Yup! I've been reading the web pages for the Italian consulates in Argentina.

Still waiting for an email back from the Italian consulate in San Francisco to find out if following the directions for Argentina consulates is acceptable or not.

Kind of a weird configuration. US citizen living in San Francisco trying to inherit Italian citizenship by way of ancestors who were born/lived/emigrated to Argentina.

Can it get more complicated than that? :P

User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby Squigy » 08 May 2010, 17:22

somedude wrote:
Squigy wrote:
somedude wrote:Yup, thanks! Checked out that site a few times, but it doesn't seem to have much information about Argentina and what set of documents I would need in the event of no naturalization.

I'm going to be googling quite a bit to see what the process is for Argentine citizens to acquire Italian citizenship and then try to obtain the same set of documents.

This will not be easy; I have no clue how to get naturalization records from Argentina, and what to do if no records are found.

Any links, insight, or advice from others GREATLY appreciated.


Just a suggestion - Why don't you try sending an email to a consulate in Argentina? They may be able to point you in the right direction, as far as documents are concerned. Here are a few consulates:

http://italianfamilysearch.com/dual_cit ... ntina.html


Yup! I've been reading the web pages for the Italian consulates in Argentina.

Still waiting for an email back from the Italian consulate in San Francisco to find out if following the directions for Argentina consulates is acceptable or not.

Kind of a weird configuration. US citizen living in San Francisco trying to inherit Italian citizenship by way of ancestors who were born/lived/emigrated to Argentina.

Can it get more complicated than that? :P


:lol: Yes, your situation is a bit complicated. Keep us posted on your progress!
My Italian surnames:



Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone



Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile



Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

User avatar
somedude
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 22:17

Re: Italian ancestors lived in Argentina, questions.

Postby somedude » 09 May 2010, 00:03

Squigy wrote:
somedude wrote:
Squigy wrote:
somedude wrote:Yup, thanks! Checked out that site a few times, but it doesn't seem to have much information about Argentina and what set of documents I would need in the event of no naturalization.

I'm going to be googling quite a bit to see what the process is for Argentine citizens to acquire Italian citizenship and then try to obtain the same set of documents.

This will not be easy; I have no clue how to get naturalization records from Argentina, and what to do if no records are found.

Any links, insight, or advice from others GREATLY appreciated.


Just a suggestion - Why don't you try sending an email to a consulate in Argentina? They may be able to point you in the right direction, as far as documents are concerned. Here are a few consulates:

http://italianfamilysearch.com/dual_cit ... ntina.html


Yup! I've been reading the web pages for the Italian consulates in Argentina.

Still waiting for an email back from the Italian consulate in San Francisco to find out if following the directions for Argentina consulates is acceptable or not.

Kind of a weird configuration. US citizen living in San Francisco trying to inherit Italian citizenship by way of ancestors who were born/lived/emigrated to Argentina.

Can it get more complicated than that? :P


:lol: Yes, your situation is a bit complicated. Keep us posted on your progress!


Will do. I started a new thread with information for people in similar situations to me, hopefully it'll save people some trouble.


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests