Church records filed at state level?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Church records filed at state level?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 14 May 2010, 20:54

I found a marriage certificate for some ancestors here in NJ after calling many churches. Yet vital records doesnt have a copy. Is it possible that some people didnt file with the state and only have the church document? I dont think that flies today, but this was back in the 1930s and maybe a church document was all you needed for proof of marriage.

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Church records filed at state level?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 May 2010, 21:28

Each state had different rules, but I would have thought that by 1930, well...

Why not ask New Jersey vital records people? http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/contact.shtml
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 14 May 2010, 21:40

Why not ask...well if you must know, lol! It took 7 minutes to get through to the main menu to find the right prompt and then I was on hold for an hour and no one ever ended up getting to my call! At that point the phone was a split second from going out the window! I never get anyone on the phone there. My main concern is if the consulate will accept a church document. Ive read some where else that it was up to the individual to register it with the state and some people chose not to. Im not sure if thats the truth or not. The bottom line I read was not all church weddings had to be registered.

Alicia

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rodio » 16 May 2010, 17:26

Alicia:

I had the same problem--a church record with "no result found"from the county in PA. Since I needed an official marriage doc for my JS application, I ordered the marriage records at the county level from the Family History center, and found the record.

I had thought the same as you--perhaps the church record was sufficient, but in 1904, they still had a proper marriage license. Could your ascendants registered at another county? I also tried talking to someone on the phone, but had the same success you did.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 16 May 2010, 17:45

I havent tried state records or county records yet. I first contacted the church. I had 2 people look through NJ archives for me and said there is no record with the state. They said its possible it was never registered outside of the church if no one decided to do that. But Im not sure what to do. If archives says there is nothing there, I dont want to send money to vital record just for them to steal my money again and confirm there is no state record. You mean the county might have the record and not the state?

Alicia

Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rodio » 16 May 2010, 18:01

The state should have the record, but who knows what happened with records from 70+ years ago? Looking at this site : http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/index.shtml , you could contact the local registrar at the city/twp level to see if they have the record. I would try calling--maybe a local registrar has a lower call volume and a shorter wait.

Good luck.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 17 May 2010, 18:13

I confirmed with the county clerk that back then it wasnt always necessary to have a marriage license to get married in a religious ceremony. So for people out there wondering if you cant find a record at state level they told me to try county level, then township level. If after all of those inquiries still nothing turns up its probably as simple as they never registered outside the church. I just wanted to update in case some one finds themselves in the same predicament.

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”