So many ?s! First, names and residency in Italy?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dovelette

So many ?s! First, names and residency in Italy?

Postby dovelette » 26 May 2010, 10:58

I'm very new to all of this but my Great grandparents on my mother's side were from Italy. I would like to apply for Italian citizenship and understand all the documents I will need. However, it doesn't appear that anyone in my family can give me any information about my great grandparents.

I know my great grandfather was (in America) Thomas Tarantelli. The 1930 census says that he was born about 1875 in Italy and was not naturalized at that time. It also says he arrived in America in 1905.

My great grandmother was (in America) Mary Tarantelli (no idea of her maiden name) and that she was born in 1885 and was also not naturalized in 1930, and also arrived in either 1905 or 1908.

Alright so...there is a "Ludovico Tarantelli" arriving in 1904 from Pratola. There is no record of any female "Tarantelli" arriving any time from 1900 to 1912.

Am I to assume this is my great grandfather? Should I go ahead and try to order birth certificates etc for him or what is my next step?

TIA for all the help I am sure you guys will give in the next months. I should also mention I am a peace corps volunteer living in Africa, so this is an especially difficult process for me!!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: So many ?s! First, names and residency in Italy?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 May 2010, 11:50

Two things about Italian women:

1) Then and now, their maiden name remains their legal name for life. No matter how many times she marries, an Italian woman's passport, driver's license, identity card, credit cards, etc - all are issued in her maiden name.

2) It was extremely common for Italian men to come over to the US alone or in small groups (of men) coming from the same town or extended family. Once they obtained work, found a place to live, and saved enough money, they would send for their wives and children to join them.

So, what this means is that Italian women are usually found on manifests travelling under their maiden name and, if with children, the children are listed under their father's name, like this:

Smith, Mary, age 32, Female
son Jones, Robert, age 4, male
daughter, Jones, Jane, age 2, female

Variations exist, for sure, but this is a good guidline.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

dovelette

Postby dovelette » 26 May 2010, 12:18

Yes, it looks like my great grandfather first came to America in 1899, then came again in 1904, and a third time in 1907! They had no children at this time. I'm guessing (big guess) that when he came in 1907, he brought my grandmother with him, so I found the ship he was on and am searching for her on the ship...but I dont' know her name, and my mother says her name was Nunziatta or Nancy, but the 1930 census lists her as Mary, and there is no last name...

This would all be sort of fun if it wasn't a matter of how long it would take me to gt citizenship :o)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 May 2010, 12:21

If they travelled together on the same ship, they would most likely be listed together on the manifest, like this:

Smith, Thomas, age 35, male
wife Maria, age 32, female.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 May 2010, 19:51

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”