Naturalization Papers Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
masidao

Naturalization Papers Question

Postby masidao » 28 May 2010, 17:57

Hello all I'm new to the forum and have recently started gathering documents for my dual citizenship application. I will apply through the bloodline of my great grandparents > grandmother > mother > me. My great grandparents both came to the US from Italy and naturalized AFTER my grandmother was born here and my mother was born after Jan. 1st, 1948 and nobody ever renounced their citizenship (with the exception of my great grandparents being naturalized in the US).

Ok my question:
Where can I get copies of my great grandparents naturalization papers? In fact I DO have the originals BUT of course I don't want to part with those right? The consulate will require certified copies right?

The San Francisco consulate website did not state whether they require the originals, certified copies or simple photocopies so I assume they need certified copies. Also I did check the homeland security/immigration website but could not find any info on acquiring old family documents.

Any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Doug in San Francisco

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Papers Question

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 May 2010, 18:58

If you have the originals, you can just bring them to your meeting - the consulate will make photocopies and give the originals back to you.

However, if you want another set, the best place to get them is directly from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service - USCIS. Start here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD and then click the "Make a Genealogy Request" link near the top-right. On the next page, look to the top-right again for Order Online or by mail links.

When completing the request, you can skip entirely the "Index Search" and go directly to the "Records Request". Grap the "certificate number" off the documents already in your possession, stick a "C" in front of it, and use this as the "C file" number when completing the document request form.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

masidao

Postby masidao » 28 May 2010, 22:45

Excellent! Thank you for your information! Right before I viewed your response to my question, another source sent me this link which is also for ordering copies of such documents:

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Genealogy/ge ... 203-09.pdf

Anglmart

Postby Anglmart » 28 May 2010, 22:56

For the benefit of others, I've also read on here that the microfilm copy is the one to get so you can adjust clarity when making your own copies.

Thanks for the help! :D

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”