Uncertainties on materials needed for italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
zeliack

Uncertainties on materials needed for italian citizenship

Postby zeliack » 09 Jun 2010, 06:28

I am attempting to collect all the necessary materials to submit in the future, but unfortunately I have questions that I hope someone might know the answers to.

First of all, I know that my birth certificate and my father's marriage certificate are necessities, but we do not have the standard ones that most use. Mine is what appears to be an FS-140 (Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of The United States of America) and the marriage certificate is a "Report and Certificate of Marriage".

Links to additional information regarding them:
http://travel.state.gov/law/info/overse ... s_703.html
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/obtain.html

It doesn't look like I can get a duplicate FS-140 except in the case of a lost or damaged original...so what should be expected of me there?

The marriage certificate...form...might be duplicable but I would like to check to see if it truly is a necessity, especially considering the fact that these are unique cases.

There might be a 'second half' to my birth certificate, because I do remember my mother having a second bit of paper when I took drivers ed. (and i do remember that being problematic b/c of my lack of normal birth cert. =\)

On a side matter, is birth certificates the only thing that can be retrieved as long-forms? I have yet to read anywhere where I can obtain long-form marriage/deaths. However in the case of long-form births I have yet to figure out how to order that yet either.

Assuming these are the proper forms I'm supposed to use for ordering, I have yet to figure out how to inform them that I want it long-formed.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/reg-27.pdf
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/certs/bicert.pdf

Thank you for the help in the past and thanks for the help in the future everyone ^_^ (btw, houston consulate says they wont email back till oct. 2010 D: so no i cant ask directly)

EDIT:
I would also like to point out that I received the "Certificate of Citizenship" from the USCIS but it appears to be their best copy....and thus I received a photocopy. Is that really what I need for the naturalization proof? I wasn't really expecting them to give me a photocopy :\

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Uncertainties on materials needed for italian citizenshi

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jun 2010, 12:14

In what country did the marriage and birth take place?

I am just guessing here, but my suspicion is that in that country/city/etc, there will be official marriage and birth records - just as there would be for any citizen of that location - which you can request through the normal channels.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

zeliack

Postby zeliack » 09 Jun 2010, 12:37

The second set of links would have made it apparant, but its Colorado and New Jersey in that order based on your question.

jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jacobarber » 09 Jun 2010, 13:15

I have heard that consulates will sometimes accept letters from issuing departments that state what document cannot be supplied under certain conditions.

For example, I recall someone mentioning that Arizona does not give long-form birth certificates anymore or some such nonsense, and that an acknowledgement of this by the state with a duplicate (non long-form) BC will be enough for the consulate. I may be wrong though.

In your case, you may be able to get an apostille for what you have and hope for the best.

From what I understand about "long-form" documents is that a certified (or full page) copy is the same. I think a BC needs to have your parents' full names and city/county/country of birth. My GGPs' marriage certificate has their full names (GGM's maiden), parents' names, birth locations, person who performed the marriage, date, location of marriage, their addresses, and witnesses. Yours may have more, may have less.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jun 2010, 13:29

zeliack wrote:The second set of links would have made it apparant, but its Colorado and New Jersey in that order based on your question.

I am confused. When I read, "I know that my birth certificate and my father's marriage certificate are necessities, but we do not have the standard ones that most use. Mine is what appears to be an FS-140 (Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of The United States of America) ...", I took that to mean that your father married, and you were born, in a foriegn country and that you weren't certain if the documents you had would be sufficient for the Italian consulate.

My suggestion therefore was that you seek out the actual marriage and birth certificates from that foriegn city/country.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jun 2010, 13:33

Of course, like most Americans, my thinking is US-centric.

It occurs to me now that both statements are true, but that the foriegn country was in fact the US. Is that it?
Carmine

zeliack

Postby zeliack » 09 Jun 2010, 14:06

correct. My father was a USAF pilot stationed in South Korea and thus I was born on a US military base in that country. I was never a citizen of that country.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jun 2010, 15:21

Oy! Yet another view of the situation.

Honestly, I don't know what the consulate will find acceptable, but I suggest you go to this page http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issu ... e_590.html and place a call to the "Additional Information - The Vital Records Section can be reached at (202) 955-0307" line at the bottom of the page.

Explain which documents you need and why you need them, including the fact that the documents will be retained by the Italian government and that is why you need the "additional" copies.
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”