Will this be a problem?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Will this be a problem?

Postby mishy » 16 Jun 2010, 05:55

I noticed on some of the documents collected, my mother used her confirmation name as a middle name, but not on all documents. My brother did the same thing. Will this be a problem?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Will this be a problem?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2010, 12:15

Is your mother a direct-line ancestor? Which side of your family is the "Italian side"?

If your mother is not direct-line, it almost certainly will not be of concern. If she is your direct-line ancestor, then much depends on the consulate.

I applied in New York City and, because I knew they had a reputation for being fussy about names, I made several corrections to documents. Among those were the fact that both my social security card and my driver's license had my confirmation name as middle name (hey, I was young and didn't know any better!). I corrected both of those documents to ensure that they matched my birth certificate exactly. I also had my marriage certificate corrected to add the "Jr" suffix which was strangely missing as I have always used it.

PS: The driver's license because I knew it was one of the identification requirements which would be needed at some point in the application process; the social security account simply because it seemed the right thing to do and didn't cost me anything.

PPS: If you procede with your mother's documents unchanged, then it would be a good idea to write to the church/diocese where she received the rite (or, is it sacrement?) of confirmation and request a certified copy of the document. That way you will have something to show when trying to explain the middle name.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mishy » 16 Jun 2010, 14:24

yes, my mother is the direct line. My brother is applying at the Miami Consulate, and he also used his confirmation name on some of his documents. You're right.......years ago everyone used their confirmation names. So you think if I went to the Church, they would provide some type of documentation for me? And would that work in Miami?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2010, 16:26

I can't promise or speculate as to what will or will not work in Miami.

The church should be able to provide you with a record of the confirmation (a "Confirmation Certificate").

For what it is worth, my personal opinion is fix everything that is fixable (by amending documents/records) and be prepared to defend as vigorously as possible those which cannot be fixed.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mishy » 16 Jun 2010, 20:21

Thanks johnnyonthespot! I'm going to try for the Confirmation Certificate and hope that works. Amending the documents would take a while and my brothers appointment is in July, so don't have much time.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”