Widowed with minor children

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Widowed with minor children

Postby Drew927 » 30 Jun 2010, 14:06

My brother in law is gathering documents for Citizenship Jure Sanguinis and posed a question to me.
He is widowed with two minor children. On the application should he write married and provide documents for the birth and death of his spouse or write not married and bring the supporting documents to his appointment.

Does anyone have thoughts on this subject? Technically he is not married and i believe he should state that and bring birth, death and marriage certificates to prove the children are his.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Widowed with minor children

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Jul 2010, 10:48

Depending on which form (New York's Form 1, perhaps?) he is using, I think he can write in "Widowed" where it asks Married (Yes/No):

THe form is somewhat of a formality used by some consulates to make data entry easier.

All consulates require direct-line documents; most do not in fact require certificates for non-direct line persons, despite what their web sites say.

However, presuming that his citizenship is recognized, he will definitely need to show that the children's mother is deceased or else neither he nor the children will be allowed to obtain Italian passports. (whenever minor children are involved, both parents must agree in writing to the issuance of passports)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 01 Jul 2010, 17:58

Johnny,

Thanks for the info. Your wife is probably right, with all the knowledge and experience you have i'm sure there is a market for you.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Jul 2010, 18:22

Drew927 wrote:Johnny,

Thanks for the info. Your wife is probably right, with all the knowledge and experience you have i'm sure there is a market for you.

I have been married 28 years. Somewhere near the end of the first decade, I finally figured out that my wife is always right.

Believe me, it's just so much easier this way. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”