Naturalization Papers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
terpe

Naturalization Papers

Postby terpe » 01 Jul 2010, 15:32

I need to obtain a copy of my Grandfather's naturalization papers. I go to the USCIS website and from everything I can see, my request needs to go to Lee's Summit, Missouri (I am in Colorado). I send off the paperwork and expect a code to be sent me that I can refer to in order to be kept aware of the status. I receive nothing.

I call and Email and am told, no, it all has to go to Chicago and you must include the fee. Now mind you, the website says Lee's Summit and they state that a fee will be applied later, none to be sent with the paperwork. So, first off update your website USCIS if what I am now being told is so. However, after a few back and forth Emails, I am convinced these people know nothing.

I have dealt with the Italian government with far less hassle. Can anyone tell me what I need to do here? As always, it is very appreciated. You people here have helped me work through my citizenship process more than anyone.

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Re: Naturalization Papers

Postby siskojnash » 01 Jul 2010, 15:36

Have you tried searching footnote.com to see if they might be there? I was surprised to find quite a bit of that stuff on the site. It may be possible to actually look at the documents for free by checking individual libraries in your system. One of mine has it available, and it wasn't one of the big branches. I would do a search first just to see what comes up, if anything. Of course, if you already subscribe to the site, that's even easier.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Jul 2010, 16:21

USCIS has an older system which worked under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). You filled out a G-639 form, sent it in, and waited for years for a response. The service was nearly always free and, under federal FOIA law, they were required to respond to you within 30 days of receiving your request. Most federal agencies decided that meant they could send you a letter saying "we received your request; here is a tracking number."

The new system for genealogy requests permits ordering documents online and requires a fee first for searching the indexes and then again for retreival of the actual records. If you already know the certificate number, you can skip the index search thereby saving some time and money. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD for more info.

Another option to consider is the National Archives. Depending on exactly which court system your ancestor naturalized in (federal, state, county) and when, NARA may have copies. Start here: http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

To order, go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

Click "Order Reproductions", then "Immigration and Naturalization Records". On the next page, click "Naturalization Records" and on the next page, use the dropdown "Select a Delivery Format" to select "Certified Paper Copy".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

terpe

Postby terpe » 01 Jul 2010, 20:21

Actually, I already have a copy of my Grandfather's naturalization papers from NARA, but I was told that isn't enough, that I needed one from the government. I do not see any "certificate number" on that one though.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Jul 2010, 20:38

Which consulate are you dealing with? Each has its own silly requirements.

Also - just for my own curiosity - who exactly told you you needed something other than the NARA copy?

Okay, a couple of things:

1) If you have a NARA copy, you need to be sure it is the "certified" version (I think they put a red ribbon seal on it).

2) If the consulate is demanding a copy of the actual certificate (some do), you can get that only from USCIS.

3) On the documents you received from NARA - depending on the date and therefore the version of the papers - you should have a section of the Petition for Naturalization titled "Oath of Allegiance" or "Order of Court Admitting Petitioner". In that section, you should see the certificate number which was issued to the applicant, either typed or handwritten. It should be a seven digit number. If you do a USCIS Records Request (skipping the Index Search), you put a "C" in front of the seven digit number and enter the whole thing in the box labeled "C File Number" on the request form: C1234567.

4) NARA is the government. Such silliness. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

terpe

Postby terpe » 01 Jul 2010, 21:22

JOTS,

OK, here's what happened. I am in Colorado and the former "consulate" here has become an independent that can be hired to "advise" on these matters. So I went to her (you can find out who if you Google) and was told I needed the USCIS version of the naturalization papers. Not to go into detail here, but I have reasons I was not happy with this person's services.

1) I do not see a ribbon or any other official indication on the NARA papers I have.

2) So, as I said, I have not been in touch with the consulate (for this area, it is Chicago) only this independent adviser.

3) Yes, I did find a seven digit number after all.

So, my best bet is to do the "C File Number" on the request form?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”