I need help with a dead end

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
armywife37040

I need help with a dead end

Postby armywife37040 » 06 Jul 2010, 00:20

:D I have discovered through some different resources that my great grandfather was born in mascali, sicily, he was born in 1891 and his name was Salvatore Strano. I was reading that Mascali was rebuilt in 1928 and did not know if there are still birth records prior to that year. All I have is my great grandfathers name and dob. How can I get this birth certificate. Also I know that he came to the USA in 1909, and in 1930 the census says he is naturalized. I do not know how or where to go to obtain the records so that I can claim dual citizenship, I am LDS and will go to my local family history center on thursday, I live currently in Germany and they are only open 1 day a week for english. Can anyone here help me.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: I need help with a dead end

Postby misbris » 06 Jul 2010, 00:50

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have his ship's manifest? How old was he ? Where did he settle?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Jul 2010, 01:37

www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/56-mascali is tghe website for MASCALI and scroll down to MUNICIPIO for addresss of the vitalstatistics office (UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE)

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and send form letter in Italian to request his birth extract certificate (free of charge) and contains parents names. wait 4-8 weeks. Once you have his birth record you canlocate his citizenship record.

Go to www.italiandualcitizenship.com for information about obtaining dual citizenship. =Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Jul 2010, 01:46

Records in MASCALI exist from 1809 to 1910 and can be read from Mormon church family History Library microfilm which can be rentged from a family history library located near you in Germany (www.familyhistorylibrary.org). Obtain book DISCOVERING YOUR ITALIAN ANCESTORS by LYNN NELSON which is a companion book for the microfilms or just write to MASCALI as I counseled you and obtain the records yhou are seeking. Since you have his year of birth there should be no problem in obtaining his birth extract record.

hE ENTERED THE USA IN MARCH 26, 1909 (SEE WWW.ELLISISLAND.ORG ) AT AGE 17. =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Jul 2010, 10:43

Where (state) did Salvatore Strano reside while in the US? Do you know his wife's and any of his children's first names?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Jul 2010, 11:32

Is this your Salvatore?

Born in "Fiume" (Fiumefreddo di Sicilia, which borders Mascali) on April 29, 1891; wife Concetta, daughter Angela. Residing in Philadelphia.

Petition for Naturalization, front: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... opage1.jpg

Petition for Naturalization, back: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... opage2.jpg

Declaration of Intent and Certificate of Arrival: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... opage3.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Jul 2010, 11:40

1930 Philadelphia census for same family:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... nsus-1.jpg

Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”