Where to begin...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Stefano07

Where to begin...

Postby Stefano07 » 08 Jul 2010, 06:54

Hello all,

A little background on me: I am brand new to this board, but have been attempting to compile the necessary documents for Italian citizenship for about the past 6 months. I am attempting to gain citizenship through my grandfather and I so far have put together - each parent's, grandmother's and my birth certificates; grandfather's and grandmother's death certificates; grandfather's naturalization certificate; and parent's wedding certificate.

1) I am going to Italy at the end of the month and hope to pick up my grandfather's birth certificate and my grandparent's wedding certificate. Is there anything I should do in the couple of weeks leading up to facilitate me getting a hold of these documents?

2) I will be applying to the San Francisco Consulate and I was wondering if I will need my parent's marriage license along with what I already have (their wedding certificate).

3) Would you advise I make an appointment with the Consulate now even though I do not have all the documents together, translated, and with Apostille? I have heard the wait is around a year and a half to two years in SF and I was hoping to speed up the process.

Thanks for any help/advice you have.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Where to begin...

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jul 2010, 11:39

Hello and welcome to the board! May good luck follow you in your research efforts. :)

1) Depending on the comune and the age of the records, it is very likely that you will not be able to get "same day service" when requesting these documents. Oftentimes they are stored in another location or in a basement vault which hasn't been visited in months or years. Really, it just depends on a multitude of factors - you may get lucky or you may not.

As a safety measure, you may want to write the comune in advance (in Italian), telling them when you will arrive and which documents you are seeking.

2) Consulates want "long form" documents; the ones with detailed information, not simple certificates with the bride and groom's names and little else. In many states, that means the Marriage License. There has been talk recently concerning some states which have been disposing of marriage license records and the problems this has caused for Italian citizenship applicants...

3) Sure, I would make the appointment as early as possible. Is doing so fair to other applicants who may have already collected most of their documents but not yet scheduled? No, it is not. Is driving in the merge lane on a highway in slow-moving traffic fair to the other people who are remaining in the travel lanes fair? Is it fair to pass by 20, 50, 100 vehicles which are obeying the rules and then merge into the travel lane at the last possible moment? No, of course not. But, do people do it every day? Yep.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 08 Jul 2010, 14:51

Hi and welcome to the forum, :D

I was able to get same day service at my comune, however my cousin who lives in the town came with me and translated for me. It is not a large place and everyone knows everybody else. I got a wonderful reception and met the mayor. I suggest you find a contact in town (relative/friend) to ease the way for you. I also was there for a few days. Offices are not always open when you expect them to be.(especially in August) :cry:

I would also check in advance that the records for the years you need are available in civil records. For example, I got my grandparents birth and marriage certificates from the 1880's on. However I was unable to get my ggrandparents' because town records only went back to 1869.
Earlier records had to be gotten from the church and that's a little trickier.
If you don't mind telling us the name of the comune, we might be able to give you a better idea of how to get records.

I don't think is is at all unfair or unethical to make your appointment in advance before you have all your papers in order. If you have to wait for a year or longer anyway, why prolong your wait time. A deadline will keep you focused on having everything in order by a certain date. :wink:

Good luck!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jul 2010, 14:56

misbris wrote:I don't think is is at all unfair or unethical to make your appointment in advance before you have all your papers in order. If you have to wait for a year or longer anyway, why prolong your wait time. A deadline will keep you focused on having everything in order by a certain date. :wink:

The New York City consulate used to ask whether you had all of your documents before allowing you to make an appointment. This was the case when I called in March (?) of 2007 and was given a January, 2008 appointment.

Okay, I admit it - I lied and said "Yes, I have everything." In fact, I had maybe a third of my documents at that point. :oops:
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Stefano07

Postby Stefano07 » 08 Jul 2010, 17:41

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I will definitely be using this board as a resource in the upcoming months.

I do have some family in Italy and I will contact them immediately to help speed things up. Hopefully my elementary Italian can get the point across.

For those who have been through the process, how long does the translation and Apostille process normally take?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jul 2010, 17:59

Apostilles from most states can be had in a week or two at the most. I think Nevada has the worst leadtime of all - for the Standard $20 service, "Order may be picked up or mailed out in approximately 5 weeks". You can get faster walk-in service if you are willing to pay as much as $1,000 for 1 hour turnaround. See http://www.nvsos.gov/index.aspx?page=162

Rest easy though, Nevada is way out in never-never land compared to most other states. I assume you are aware that apostilles must be affixed by the office of the Secretary of State in the state which issued the document, correct? A birth certificate from New York gets apostilled there; a document from Pennsylvania gets apostilled in Pennsylvania, etc.

Translations can generally be obtained in as little as a few days. You find a translator you would like to work with and email a scanned image of the document; they translate and send by return email. Rules fror translations vary by consulate - a few have a list of translators for you to choose from, some require certified/professional translations, others say anyone can do the job (even yourself) so long as it is done accurately.

New York used to allow non-professional translations for simple birth/marriage/death certificates, but required professional certified translations for divorce decrees (I assume due to the more complex nature of these documents). I am not certain about San Francisco's requirements; hopefully a recent candidate will chime in with current information.
Carmine

zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Postby zsnyder » 08 Jul 2010, 19:45

Hi Stefano07

I just received my appointment confirmation at the SF consulate yesterday.

Current wait times are 18 months.

Here's what I received in the confirmation email. Hopefully it will help you out:

Appointments are intended for one adult unless specified otherwise.

All documents pertaining directly to the applicant (birth, marriage, minor
children) need to be amended if the names on them are not identical
throughout. This includes the applicant's own name, spouse's name and
parents' names.

Please note that applications are personal, that there are no individuals or
agencies authorized or recognized by this Consulate General to act as
intermediaries on your behalf, and that you do not need an attorney to
assist you in the process, as it is sufficient to follow our instructions.
If you wish to do so, however, you may avail yourself of the services of
individuals or agencies for the purpose of obtaining documents.

On our homepage, under "useful addresses", you will find a list of
professional translators in our jurisdiction. Ask for estimates, as fees
vary from $30 to $350 per translation. WE STRONLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE
TRANSLATORS FROM OUR LIST.

Citizenship

------------

Gabriella Einaga <gabriella_einaga at att.net> seems to be highly recommended as a translator in the SF Bay area. I think I'll contact her first when I get to the translation stage.

Stefano07

Postby Stefano07 » 09 Jul 2010, 03:45

Zsnyder,

Thanks for the help. I just put in my request for an appointment and received an immediate "out-of-office" reply that stated that requests for citizenship by descent will take nearly two years.

I still emailed them and am hoping for a reply by the middle of next week.

When did you email over your request?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jul 2010, 11:28

Stefano07 wrote:Zsnyder,

Thanks for the help. I just put in my request for an appointment and received an immediate "out-of-office" reply that stated that requests for citizenship by descent will take nearly two years.

I still emailed them and am hoping for a reply by the middle of next week.

When did you email over your request?

If you could pull off living in Italy for 1 - 3 months, you could probably apply there and get the job done a lot more quickly. :)
Carmine

zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Postby zsnyder » 09 Jul 2010, 16:15

Stefano07,

That's an automatic reply and if you read the message again I'm pretty sure it says "I am NOT out of the office, but this is the only way I can send an automatic response."

I received the same message after emailing them to set up an appointment. Three hours later I received a email asking to reply with my phone number to confirm the appointment.

They will not answer questions and will only respond if your making a request to set up an appointment for citizenship through descent or marriage.

zach

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”