Working backwards - Manifest to Italy and Manifest Forward..

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Working backwards - Manifest to Italy and Manifest Forward..

Postby ncaprio » 10 Jul 2010, 08:04

Okay... 1st... why does EVERYONE (including me) have to be names Nicola on both sides of my family... and most from Castellebate to boot!

Okay... working form this Manifest... (image attached) ... vaship.jpg

S.S. Algeria - Landing in NY - June 28 1905 - passenger Nicola Acquaviva - age 15.

How do I go about getting his birth certificate when I have no idea what is birthday is... and why can't I find him after he lands in New York... ARGH... it also looks like he may have been a late edition since another name is crossed off and his placed on top... so I'm not sure I trust the accompanying information I am so cranky tonight!! (Has anyone just had one of those days when it comes to putting all of this together!?)

Nicholas (the 24th)

Re: Working backwards - Manifest to Italy and Manifest Forwa

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jul 2010, 10:46

Do you know where this Nicola fits into the family tree?

If so, you request the document like this:

AQUAVIVA NICOLA figlio di (son of) PIETRO e (and) SMITH MARY (mother's maiden name if you know it) nato nel (born in) Comune di xxxxxxxx (comune name) circa (approximately) 1890.

Leave out the stuff you don't know and hope for the best. I think you can replace unknown names above with "padre/madre sconosciuto" - "figlio di PIETRO e madre sconosciuto". Not sure about that word though...

With no parent's names at all, you may have very poor results. It all depends on how common the Aquaviva name was in the comune in that time frame.

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”