Los Angeles Consulte

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

Los Angeles Consulte

Postby ncaprio » 10 Jul 2010, 22:27

I have my first "introductory" Meeting at the LA Consulate on Tuesday!

I thought it would take months to get an appointment - so I actually stumbled when the woman asked me if Tuesday was good. 8O

Again, this is just an introductory meeting - I am a long way off from having my paperwork in order... but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me on. I want to make a good impression!!

I am actually seeking citizenship through both my mother and my father's lines... so I don't know if that is something I should bring up!

Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated!!!

Nicola

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Los Angeles Consulte

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jul 2010, 22:57

In the end, only one line will be used. It is good however that you can approach from both sides; that way if the consular official finds a problem with one side, you can switch to the other instead.

In my case, I could have gone either way as well, except that there were so many problems with discrepancies on my mother's side that I quickly gave up on that - as one example, every name on my mother's New York birth certificate (her's, her father's, her mother's) was in error.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ncaprio » 10 Jul 2010, 23:00

Really? I am finding little errors on each side as well... but mostly in the VARIATION of Names... My Grandfathers (both Nicola) are sometimes refereed to as Nick sometimes as Nicholas... my Grandmother is sometimes refereed to as Mary... Sometimes as Maria... sometimes as Marie... do you think that will be a problem?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jul 2010, 18:04

Depending on the consulate, some require every document be amended to say the exact name so they can be certain its all the same person. Check with them about that.

Alicia

ella

Postby ella » 13 Jul 2010, 16:24

Please let us know how the LA consulate was, I'll be applying there too and I never knew you could get a meeting before paperwork! :)

ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ncaprio » 13 Jul 2010, 18:43

I had a really good meeting... but I'm still a long way off!!

Did you know that I have to CHANGE MY FIRST NAME... or my Father does... since Italy doesn't acknowledge Roman Numerals or Suffixes like Sr. and Jr. and there can't be two people in the same line with the same name... It can be a simple change... from Nicholas to Nicolas... or Nicholas to Nicola... but it HAS to be different.

Have y'all ever heard of this?

ella

Postby ella » 13 Jul 2010, 18:53

Yep, I've heard of that - I thought it was just like father and son couldn't share a name, but grandfather and grandson could, but I'm not sure - my family all have different names.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”