Detroit Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Detroit Consulate

Postby ericderrico » 11 Jul 2010, 17:47

Hey all,

I'm looking to file for Italian Citizenship Jus Sanguinis along with my sister and father. Thing is, my sister lives in Ohio (Detroit Consulate), I live in Orlando (Miami Consulate), and my Dad lives in New Jersey (Newark Consulate). From what I gather, if we submit the application together, I may have the luxury of applying at any of these consulates, provided the main person filing is whose consulate it is in. Let me know if I've got that fact wrong.

I also am curious of people's experiences with the Detroit Consulate. I've only heard rumours that the Detroit Consulate is pretty lenient and quick, but nothing concrete. The Newark Consulate told me it could take 2-3 years! And I haven't had good reports from Miami. The Detroit Consulate has the least amount of info regarding Citizenship Jus Sanguinis as opposed to Miami and Newark. Any info on this would be appreciated!

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Detroit Consulate

Postby CowryShells » 11 Jul 2010, 18:21

The consulate asks for a copy of a valid driver's license to establish the applicant's residency. For example, I know Detroit only serves those who reside in IN, KY, MI, OH, and TN. Once one of you is recognized, the others may expedite their recognition process by bringing a copy of the letter and referring their consulates to the first one's file.

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 11 Jul 2010, 18:26

Thanks CowryShells!

When you say "Once one of you is recognized" are you talking about once one person is recognized as resident in the area or once one person is recognized as a citizen and goes through whole ordeal? I assume you mean just recognized as a resident.

So basically, once one person gets a letter, the rest of us should send a copy of that letter with our application. I assume just one person needs to submit the documentation, not each separate person for each separate Consulate. Am I getting this correct?

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby CowryShells » 11 Jul 2010, 18:42

Sorry, for the confusion! It is once one of you is recognized as an Italian citizen. You should talk to the first consulate and tell them of your plans. I have seen this cooperation between the LA and Boston consulates.

The first person submits most all the documents, the second person would submit the first person's letter along with the second person's birth certificate and perhaps other documents if needed. The consulate should instruct you in this.

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 11 Jul 2010, 19:23

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot more sense.

Still trying to figure which Consulate is best. Haven't heard many experiences with Detroit.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Jul 2010, 20:05

If your father goes first, once his citizenship has been recognized he should be able to immediately file a notice of birth for you and your sister just as if you were newly born.

This is how I registered (New York consulate) my then 24 year-old son and he received his letter of citizenship recognition less than 10 days later.

See "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" on this page http://www.consnewark.esteri.it/Consola ... to_civile/

On the other hand, if you or your sister goes first, once the first applicant's citizenship has been recognized the others will have to go through the process of making an appointment and presenting their own personal documents along with the file number from whomever went first. This is potentially a much longer process.

If it were my decision, I would get my father on Newark's appointment calendar as soon as possible...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 11 Jul 2010, 20:17

Thanks johnnyonthespot!

That's some good info. My only concern is according to Newark the wait is 2-3 years! I can't believe it would be that long, though I know there's lots of Italians in the area.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”