How to change NAME DISCREPANCIES in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

How to change NAME DISCREPANCIES in NYC

Postby hollyolly7 » 13 Jul 2010, 12:34

Hi all,

I am considering changing some of the name discrepancies I have.
Here they are:

GGP immigrated to US from Bertone, Italy in 1903
GGF- born Giovanni Molinelli, changed to JOHN Molinelli after residing in the US.
GGM-born Giovanna Molinelli (yes they had the same last names and same first names lol) changed to JENNY/JENNIE Molinelli
GM-born Anna Molinelli, never went by that and was called GERTRUDE Molinelli. This is the one I may change. I have "proof" that it is the same person based on the 1930 Census. It is from the same house she lived in when she was born (which is on her birth certificate) and it shows her age and her parents names and siblings.

If that is not enough, when I am back in the states this august I may change my father's birth certificate (which has Gertrude) and her marriage certificate (which I think I can't even change). My father's marriage certificate also has Gertrude listed as his mother.
How can I go about doing this (It is for Brooklyn)? How much does it cost? Can you change a name on a marriage certificate in the States when the couple is deceased?
Is changing this stuff even worth it?? Should I try without it?

Note: I am applying in ITALY not in the States.

Thanks for the help!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: How to change NAME DISCREPANCIES in NYC

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Jul 2010, 12:56

I have heard that Italian comuni have been more tolerant of name change issues, especially anglicizations, than have the consulates. Seems backwards, but there it is. Of course, much will depend on the specific comune.

I do not believe you can change New York marriage licenses for deceased individuals.

Your best bet for Gertude may very well be the census reports. You will need certified and apostilled copies, however - not just documents printed from ancestry . com or such. Start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

Click "Order Reproductions" and then "Census Pages" and "NATF 82: Census Records (NATF 82)". For Delivery Format, choose "Certified Paper Copy" and then Add to Cart.

Once you have received the certified copies of the census, you will need to have them apostilled. Because they came from a federal government source, I presume the apostille must be applied by the US Secretary of State's office. See http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm

See http://search.archives.gov/cs.html?url= ... &n=1&la=en for more info.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How to change NAME DISCREPANCIES in NYC

Postby hollyolly7 » 13 Jul 2010, 13:13

Ok I already got a certified copy. I didn't realize I'd have to have it apostilled too. Thanks!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”