Apostilles and then translations, right?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Apostilles and then translations, right?

Postby cannoli » 17 Jul 2010, 15:53

I am collecting documents now.

My intention is to send them off for apostilles as they arrive. Once I have them all, I plan to send the stack for translation.

Is this the best sequence?

Does the copy that I send for translation need to be a certified copy with the apostille attached? Or can I send a simple photocopy to the translator?

Thanks for the clarification!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Apostilles and then translations, right?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Jul 2010, 16:02

Apostilles do not require translation, so it doesn't matter if you do them before or after.

You can send your translator a photocopy by mail or simply scan the certificate and send the scanned image by email (presuming your translator has email; most of them do of course). Do not send the originals; it serves no purpose and presents an opportunity, however small, for loss or damage.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cannoli » 17 Jul 2010, 16:11

Thank you!

This is very clear.

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SChiarini » 08 Sep 2010, 18:12

Once the translations have been done... do they need to be legalized? or are they ready to be handed to the consulate?

thanks

Steph

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 20 Oct 2010, 04:23

Once translations are done, you are clear. (as long as you have certified copies and apostilles.)

priere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby priere » 20 Oct 2010, 13:58

SChiarini wrote:Once the translations have been done... do they need to be legalized? or are they ready to be handed to the consulate?

thanks

Steph

My consulate requested that I get the translators Certificate of Accuracy apostilled. This was very easy to do but it was a two step process as my translator was NYC based.

Ask the consulate what they will require and they'll tell you, I'd also ask what you need translated as well since I only had to get only those who were requesting recognition vital records translated.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”