Number of copies for Newark Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sophia22

Number of copies for Newark Consulate

Postby sophia22 » 19 Jul 2010, 18:50

Anyone have info regarding how many copies I need to provide? Or are the originals sufficient for submission?

I could have sworn I read on the NY consulate site that they want copies. Nobody from Newark will return my calls!

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Jul 2010, 19:14

sophia22 wrote:I could have sworn I read on the NY consulate site that they want copies. Nobody from Newark will return my calls!

I am sure you did. When I was applying in New York in 2008, I very carefully made three copies of every document I had - two for the consulate and one for myself.

When I got to the consulate, the official took only the originals and gave the copies back to me saying that they were not necessary.

There is a lot of info on the websites which is not correct and/or not adhered to; a key item being the need to have all documents from both sides of the family. When all is done, the consulate generally only takes the direct-line documents and ignores the rest.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

sophia22

Postby sophia22 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:33

Thanks so much for your reply! All this is getting very expensive!!! I'm not surprised you're telling me that about the direct line, too. Of course I spent tons of money and time and effort - amending names, etc. - that aren't in the direct line.

Oh well. I guess better to be safe than sorry. I'll take your word for the copies, though.

I'm going to see what I can do about having some of these consulates post ACCURATE information, however. What a disservice to the public!!

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 24 Jul 2010, 17:20

Sophia,
How long did it take for you to get an appointment with the Newark Consulate. I'm considering scheduling it now while I'm collecting documentation rather than waiting.

sophia22

Postby sophia22 » 26 Jul 2010, 21:32

Sforza,

Yes, I'd send in the application to request an appointment! It took about 8 months to receive a call from them to schedule my appointment. I sent the application BEFORE I had my all my docs ( ! ) in a row. You have quite a bit of time ahead of you.

Also, make sure you have everything they request in that application form you find on the newark consulate website. They want a proof of citizenship form from Italy for your ancestory. It's different than the birth certificate.

Hope this helps.
Sophia22 :lol:

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 26 Jul 2010, 21:57

Thanks, will do! And thanks for the heads-up on documentation. When I wrote Italy for my GF birth certificate, I also requested the certificate di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana - I think that's what you're referring to?

sophia22

Postby sophia22 » 27 Jul 2010, 14:06

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! You're ahead of the game! I've heard that's a weeding out process for the folks at Newark, so include the cittandinanza!!! They'll be impressed and your application will go right to the "good pile!" Now go submit your application! I'll let you know more as the proces continues.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Jul 2010, 14:25

....and ALWAYS make 3 copies of everything no matter what and keep one set in your desk even ifthey give you a set back for your records you can never have too many colpies of anything. =Peter=
~Peter~

sophia22

Postby sophia22 » 28 Jul 2010, 12:22

Peter,

Do I bring add'l copies to the consulate? Or just keep them for my records? Thanks

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 30 Jul 2010, 12:52

sophia22 wrote: I'll let you know more as the proces continues.

Thanks much Sophia, and please do!!

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 03 Aug 2010, 18:31

sophia22 wrote:Sforza,

Yes, I'd send in the application to request an appointment!:

Sophia,
My mother emailed the consulate to schedule an appointment, and hasn't heard back. You refer in your post above to an "application to request the appointment." Where do we find this? I can't locate it on the consulate's website - or maybe I'm just missing it.

Also, what was your strategy - did you submit the application by itself, or did you include some of your documentation?

Thanks,

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 04 Aug 2010, 18:03

I emailed the Newark consulate myself and got my mother an appointment - for June 2011! So the clock is ticking - 10 months and counting - for our document hunt. I imagine it could take that long to hear back from USCIS!

Something worth mentioning: I noticed that the date format used - at least by the Newark Consulate - is European (makes sense!!). So an appt date of, eg., 04/05 would not be April 5th, but May 4th.

sophia22

Postby sophia22 » 06 Aug 2010, 02:57

Wow - that's great! You received an appointment after a mere email! It looks like they've changed the procedures a bit. So you didn't have to sit around waiting for them to contact you! That was amazingly quick! Lucky you!

Yes, everything is "European style" i.e. the date format.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”