Amend difference in Italian last name

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vanessa1105

Amend difference in Italian last name

Postby vanessa1105 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:40

I know certain places have become less forgiving for small discrepancies. My GGF's last name was Bertolami - but somehow it was either written wrong on my grandmother's BC as Bertolame. I know that I can ammend that but how would I go about doing this?
I would also have to ammend my father's birth certificate as the last name appears there as well as mine correct? (because under father's name it would include my gm's maiden name after her married name)

How do I amend them?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Amend difference in Italian last name

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Jul 2010, 21:18

The procedures, cost, and requirements for ammendments vary by state. Which state issued the documents you are considering changing?

Did your GGF naturalize? Sometimes you will get very lucky and find both spellings on the Petition for Naturalization - the Italian spelling in the arrival section of the petition and the American spelling in the main body. In such cases, the consulate will generally agree that the two spellings refer to the same person.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 20 Jul 2010, 02:50

Funny I thought I replied to this hours ago.

Basically wondering if I could just get an affidavit/or ammendment saying that the discrepancy between Bertolami and Bertolame was a mistake. Since everybody besides my great grandfather has Bertolame instead of Bertolami - and stating that it was a simple error since the I could have easily been read as and E.

95 percent of my paperwork is coming from Peru - and the only paperwork from the states with the Bertolame name is my grandmother's naturalization papers.

Should I do something for each individual record or could I use an affidavit that shows all the discrepancies (listed) found within the various vital records submitted for recognition of Italian citizenship are true and exact accounting and get it notarized.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jul 2010, 05:49

Each consulate handles these things in its own manner; I can tell you that in New York City, much weight is given to whether both spellings result in known Italian names in which case the consulate will be very obstinate.

In your case, it is unfortunate that the "e" spelling appears in the Italian telephone directory - even though only a single time - http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... tolame&dv=

An affadavit would be better than nothing, but it needs to point to strong evidnce that the two names belong to one and the same person; evidence that goes beyond a simple "because I said so".

But again, everything depends on your specific consulate and the alignment of the planets and moons on the day you present your documents...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 20 Jul 2010, 06:10

I will be going through the New York City system - I am getting all the paperwork rectified in Peru as well and getting it certified by the Italian Embassy there in Peru before my appointment here in NYC. I am also going to get an affidavit. From what I heard in NYC - like you said everything depends on your specific consulate and the alignment of the planets and moons on the day you present your documents... so I rather be covered in all bases possible.

One of my dad's cousin did this paperwork but she only had to deal with Peru and Italy.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jul 2010, 11:46

In my first visit to NYC, I made the mistake of bringing along only a short-form version of my mother's birth certificate. It was a mistake ofr two reasons, 1, that when all was said and done, NYC did not want any of the non-direct line documents.

2, because it was the short-form certificate, it was computer printed and the apital letter "I" in De Iacovo - I have to admit - looked just like a capital "L" due to the font used.

The female official looking over my documents took it across the room to her male (I presume) superior and showed it to him. He commented quite strongly, "No - this is an entirely different name!" meaning De Lacovo.

As it turned out, the long-form certificate which I later obtained was typewritten in the 1920's and the name was clearly spelled with an "I" however by that time the consulate had lost interest in my mother's documents anyway.
Carmine

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 20 Jul 2010, 23:27

I want to make sure I have everything covered and just get it with one visit to the NYC embassy. I think the fact that I am going to get it rectified and certified in the Italian Embassy in Peru might be helpful but we'll see. My appointment is not until next April.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jul 2010, 00:25

vanessa1105 wrote:I want to make sure I have everything covered and just get it with one visit to the NYC embassy. I think the fact that I am going to get it rectified and certified in the Italian Embassy in Peru might be helpful but we'll see. My appointment is not until next April.

I wish you the best of luck. New York has a reputation as a "three visits before you are cleared for takeoff" consulate. :?
Carmine

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 21 Jul 2010, 00:51

what have you heard about Philadelphia? Anything? I just moved back to NY so I haven't really changed my ID, etc. I still have a NC ID - and that pertains to Philadelphia.

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 21 Jul 2010, 00:55

Did you have 3 visits with NYC yourself? How far apart are the visits?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”