birth outside/before marriage?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

birth outside/before marriage?

Postby cannoli » 21 Jul 2010, 17:22

Could it be a problem if an ascendant was born before marriage, even if the lineage is shown and a later marriage occurred?

Could it be a problem if an ascendant was born outside marriage and is identified as "illegitimate" or "father unknown" or mother and father never married?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: birth outside/before marriage?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jul 2010, 17:57

Theoretically, it doesn't matter if the parents never married or if one parent was unknown. The only thing that counts is, can you prove a direct and unbroken line of Italian blood.

But this does raise an interesting question: prior to January 1, 1948, Italian women could not pass citizenship. In cases where the father was unknown or annonymous, were the rules bent to allow the child citizenship?

Must have been, as the only other option would be a so-called "stateless" child - a person with no citizenship whatsoever...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cannoli » 21 Jul 2010, 18:01

Thank you for the clarification--My goal is to show an unbroken line of Italian blood.

Also, you do call out an interesting question of a "stateless child"!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Jul 2010, 02:25

Say, while browsing the Italian Embassy in Cairo Egypt website (don't ask), I came across this:

WAYS TO BECOME AN ITALIAN CITIZEN

AUTOMATICALLY 1. by having an Italian parent(s); 2. by being born in Italy:

including cases in which the parents are unknown, stateless or do not transmit their own citizenship to their child according to the legislation of the State to which they belong, as well as children found abandoned in Italy and for whom it is impossible to determine status civitatis (citizenship);

http://www.ambilcairo.esteri.it/Ambasci ... tadinanza/

and I thought to myself, well, that answers that other question, doesn't it? :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”