jure sanguinis questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PleaseTakeMeToItaly

jure sanguinis questions

Postby PleaseTakeMeToItaly » 02 Aug 2010, 15:00

All of my Ascendants are of full Italian blood from as far backas i can reach ~

Since i was born in 1962 and my father became a US citizen in 1960 I am told this diqualifies me on my fathers side ~ Yet all my sisters, brothers are all eligible because they were all born before 1960 ~ I am told even their kids are eligible but I am not ~ This is a tough one for me to swallow ~ All my grandparents and great grandparents were born in Italy ~

My mother who was born in 1933 (in the USA) of Giuseppe Oddo (born in Custonacci, Sicilia 3-10-1903 and he moved to the USA in aprox. 1921 ~ we are not sure when/if he naturalized but her mother who was also born in Custonacci Italy 7-7-1914 , came to the USA when she was 22 months old ~ I am told she most likely naturalized after my mother birth but my mothers father most likely before my mothers birth ~

I can get more names and dates if it helps but not sure how to find out when my mothers father naturalized or which direction to step next ~

any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
danny

mler
Master
Master

Re: jure sanguinis questions

Postby mler » 02 Aug 2010, 15:13

Hi Danny. Your only route is through your mother's paternal line since she was born in 1933. Since Giuseppe Oddo did nto come to the US until 1921, there is a good chance that he did not naturalize before your mother's birth. Ancestry.com may have this information, and although I do not have an ancestry account, many others on this site do and perhaps can help you.

I am so sorry that you are in the unfortunate position of being ineligible through your paternal line because of your date of birth. It happens many times. I was a victim of the 1948 rule although my siblings qualified. However, I did find that I was eligible through another line; I hope it works that way for you too.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Aug 2010, 15:14

Your father's side is a dead end, as you have already noted.

Your mother's mother is a dead end because your mother was born prior to January 1, 1948 and before that date Italian citizenship was passed only by the father. Even if your grandmother was an Italian citizen, she could not pass that citizenship to her children born before 1/1/1948.

So, we are left with your mother's father...

Did he live in Michigan? If so, this index record may indicate that he filed a naturalization petition in 1928. As a rule, time from filing of petition to actual naturalization did not take five years; however it is still possible that he did not complete the process for one reason or another. Definitely worth looking into.

U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 about Giuseppe Oddo
Name: Giuseppe Oddo
Birth Date: 10 Mar 1903
State: Michigan
Locality, Court: Detroit, District Court
Title: Index Cards to Naturalization Petitions for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division, Detroit, 1907-1995
Description: O-220 Oakes, Louis-O-300 Ottoy, Gustaaf
Series: M1917

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... oIndex.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PleaseTakeMeToItaly

Postby PleaseTakeMeToItaly » 02 Aug 2010, 15:32

wow, Thanx for providing that document ~ Yes, my grandfather did live in Deroit ~ It's amazing that I'm now finding out that everyone in my family is eligible except me ~ unless It took longer than the 5 years you mentioned ~ is this date when he applied for US citizenship?? Thanx so much for all your help~

Sincerely,
danny

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Aug 2010, 15:41

Most likely the fastest answer to your question will come from the National Archives. I suggest you contact them as below and request copies of Giuseppe's naturalization documents. The date you are concerned with is the date the "Oath of Allegiance" was signed as that is the moment that naturalization occurred.

National Archives: General info: http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

To order documents, go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

Click "Order Reproductions", then "Immigration and Naturalization Records". On the next page, click "Naturalization Records" and on the next page, use the dropdown "Select a Delivery Format" to select "Certified Paper Copy" - or not; if the date is in your favor, you will need the certified copy for your application. If the date is not in your favor, then no need to spend the extra money.

PS: During the order process, you are asked to enter some numbers which you simply do not have. Just put zeroes in those fields and then make a note in the Order Comments box.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PleaseTakeMeToItaly

Postby PleaseTakeMeToItaly » 02 Aug 2010, 18:30

It's having me enter a credit card already and it hasn't shown me a copy of what I'm purchasing ~ should i enter my CC info??

Thanks again

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Aug 2010, 18:45

PleaseTakeMeToItaly wrote:It's having me enter a credit card already and it hasn't shown me a copy of what I'm purchasing ~ should i enter my CC info??

Thanks again

I don't recall the details, but basically you are ordering a search of the records. If I remember correctly, your credit card will be charged only if they actually find the records and send them to you. The search normally takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I may be wrong however. Perhaps they charge whether or not they find anything. You can always telephone them and request further info.
Carmine

PleaseTakeMeToItaly

Postby PleaseTakeMeToItaly » 02 Aug 2010, 19:24

Hi Carmine, Thaks for all the help!

well, I spoke with someone at the national archives and you must order before you are shown any doc's or dates ~ Also they said that the date of the petition is definitely the same date as the naturalization ~ I guess they go back to the date of the petition?? I asked 3 times and she assured me the date would be the same as the date of the petition ~ i guess no reason to go any further?? I'm so sad that every single person in my blood line is 100% Italiam and I cannot be eligible for jure sanguinis

Thanks again,
danny

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Aug 2010, 19:33

PleaseTakeMeToItaly wrote:Hi Carmine, Thaks for all the help!

well, I spoke with someone at the national archives and you must order before you are shown any doc's or dates ~ Also they said that the date of the petition is definitely the same date as the naturalization ~ I guess they go back to the date of the petition?? I asked 3 times and she assured me the date would be the same as the date of the petition ~ i guess no reason to go any further?? I'm so sad that every single person in my blood line is 100% Italiam and I cannot be eligible for jure sanguinis

Thanks again,
danny

Well, I can tell you for certain that the date of the petition is not the date of naturalization. My maternal grandfather filed his petition in 1938 and it was finaly approved in 1944 (there was an issue of some sort...). Ma paternal grandfather filed his petition in October, 1934 and took the Oath in February, 1935.

Which date was on the index card I gave you above, I do not know, and as I said before, five years would be a long stretch between filing the petition and actual naturalization. I really can't advise you other than to take a leap on the - what is it? $7.50 for a non-certified copy? - and see what you get.
Carmine

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 02 Aug 2010, 19:46

I agree. My grandfather's petition was dated six months earlier than the actual naturalization. The date on the Certificate is the same date as that of the Oath. I would take that leap that Carmine recommends. You never know. Best of luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”