Picking up Italian Birth Certs

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Picking up Italian Birth Certs

Postby ericderrico » 05 Aug 2010, 10:50

I need to get my GGF's birth certificate from Foggia Italy. I happen to have a friend that lives in southern Italy and it wouldn't be much trouble for him to stop by and get the cert for me. Is this at all possible? Or do they have to be a family member? Or is it just as well to continue writing to the communes myself?

Thanks

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Picking up Italian Birth Certs

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Aug 2010, 12:14

I can offer my own experience as a guide --

After an initial (short) visit to my grandparent's comune, I was told that the information I wanted was stored someplace else and they promised to mail the documents to me. A few months passed, I mailed a formal request, several more months passed, I wrote to the mayor asking for his assistance, and yet more months passed.

Finally, I contacted a woman who I had "met" on another Italian genealogy board - she was an American living in Italy and pursuing her own jus sanguinis case. I hoped she might telephone the comune on my behalf or suggest some other ideas; instead she offered to visit the comune on my behalf.

The clerk told her, "Oh yes, I have his file right here" (where it had apparently been sitting for close to a year!). She walked out 15 minutes later with the documents and mailed them to me the next day.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 05 Aug 2010, 15:11

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if the commune would have allowed your friend to pick up the document in the first place prior to your visit? If so, that would be terrific. I guess since it's not an inconvenience for my friend it wouldn't hurt, though I don't want to abuse the favour if they give him the run-around.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Aug 2010, 15:26

ericderrico wrote:Thanks for the info.

I wonder if the commune would have allowed your friend to pick up the document in the first place prior to your visit? If so, that would be terrific. I guess since it's not an inconvenience for my friend it wouldn't hurt, though I don't want to abuse the favour if they give him the run-around.

Yes; it is my understanding that these records are available to the public after 75 years (?). Your friend (does he/she speak Italian?) might want to call in advance so as to avoid the old "records are stored in another location; come back in a few days" runaround.

You can also prepare your friend by sending him in advance a letter which authorizes him to act on your behalf. Of course, it would have to be in Italian.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 05 Aug 2010, 15:59

Thanks!

My friend is Italian so speaking isn't a problem. I figured the letter would be a good idea. Calling up first seems the smart idea :-)

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 05 Aug 2010, 18:21

ericderrico wrote:I wonder if the commune would have allowed your friend to pick up the document in the first place prior to your visit?

Ciao, I'm that friend :D I would have been given the documents even without a previous visit from j-on-the-spot. All I had to do was sign for them! The advice to email your Italian friend a release form is great especially if you feel that the comune may balk at releasing your relatives' documents.

ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ericderrico » 05 Aug 2010, 18:45

Sounds good. Haven't had any problems so to speak with the commune, just figured a letter would be good insurance. I think this is the route I'm going to go rather than wait around to hear back from them.

Grazie Mille!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Aug 2010, 19:16

kontessa wrote:Ciao, I'm that friend :D

Really? We're talking about Roccasecca, correct?
Carmine

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 05 Aug 2010, 19:59

Yup, that would be me. :D

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”