HELP! Certified Translations

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

HELP! Certified Translations

Postby hollyolly7 » 11 Aug 2010, 12:05

I have done the translations of the various certificates myself and am wondering where in earth I can have them certified (asseverati).
I had done this last year for my degree and the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia certified it for me without a problem.

All of the certificates I have are from NY State/City except one, mine (from NJ) so I contacted Eva Barone from the Consulate in NY asking her if it was possible to send them to her to be certified and she said I have to go to a translator and they will certify them for me. Now all the translators are telling me that since I'm applying in Italy they don't want to do it and that they do it only for those applying in the States. HELP! What should I do???

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: HELP! Certified Translations

Postby kontessa » 11 Aug 2010, 15:01

Have you been told that they must be certified translations? I would just try to have them legalized at your closest consulate. My husband took naturalization documents that he had translated into the embassy in DC for legalization. He was required to leave them and return either the next day or several days later to retrieve them. These were not actually certified translations, but they were legalized by the embassy and accepted at my comune in Italy. He did not sign any statement as to their accuracy, either.

You can also choose to go to a local courthouse in Italy do to this as well. Ones that a friend did for me in Italy required a 'Verbale di Giuramento di Traduzione Stragiudiziale' signed by her. Both methods cost money. I think that one of the naturalization documents cost between 40 and 50 Euro at the embassy in DC.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”