Birth Cert. vs. Passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Cert. vs. Passport

Postby VittorioE » 18 Aug 2010, 03:43

Hey kids... do you sometimes just THINK of things that the consulate my ask about... just to keep you up at night?! I do!! Some days I think that it will be smooth sailing I mean my line is fairly simple...

GF - > Mom - > Me.
Nonno and Nonna's marriage cert is a little jacked... last name missing a letter on the groom and a De rather than a Di for the Bride... but since the birth dates and parents are all the same as their respective BC's I'm going to just trust that will be okay.

Here's my question... my middle name is on my Birth Certificate... but I only use an initial on my DL and my US Passport...

Why... I have decided to focus on this one fact to keep me up... who knows! :roll:

I'm proving a no-record... that should keep me up! Not an initial! :oops:

But I am a strange man named for a deposed monarch! What can I say!

Thoughts? Carmine - you must have some opinion!!! :lol:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Birth Cert. vs. Passport

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Aug 2010, 13:11

VittorioE wrote:Carmine - you must have some opinion!!! :lol:

I seem to have developed a reputation as an opiniated person. Why is that? :oops:

My situation was a little different. My birth certificate does not list a middle name (although I am a "Jr" - more about that in a bit).

When I was confirmed in the Catholic church, I took the name of Saint Peter to be my confirmation name. A year or two later, my first paying job required that I get a Social Security card (you didn't get them at birth then as you do today) and filling out the application, I included my newly minted middle name. Hey, I was young and didn't know any better.

A few more years went by and I did the same thing when applying for my first driver's license.

Since the New York consulate has a reputation for being picky about these things, I visited my local Social Security office and filed a request to correct the name on my card by stripping out the middle name. I had to show a certified copy of my birth certificate and wait a few weeks for the new card to arrive by mail.

Next, I went to the local DMV office and did the same for my driver's license. The added advantage was that my new driver's license would also show my current address; we had moved a few years earlier and, in Connecticut, they just tell you to write your new address on a sticker and affix it to the back of your license.

While looking over my other documents, I was very surprised to see that the "Jr" was missing from my Connecticut marriage certificate. A 30 minute drive to the town clerk's office in the town we married in and I was able to get that fixed as well.

As I have mentioned before, my opinion is that it is always a good idea to make all possible corrections, if for no other reason than to make your great-great-grandkid's genealogy research go that much more smoothly.

Having said all that, many documents and databases in the US are configured to use only a middle initial. I would like to believe that you will not have a problem with your documents as they are.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VittorioE » 18 Aug 2010, 14:00

Thanks Carmine! How about this one...

My mom's middle name- it's on her birth certificate and nothing else. Not on her marriage certificate. Not on my birth certificate.

:lol:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Aug 2010, 14:21

VittorioE wrote:Thanks Carmine! How about this one...

My mom's middle name- it's on her birth certificate and nothing else. Not on her marriage certificate. Not on my birth certificate.

:lol:

You may catch a little more flak on that one, especially since your mother is a direct line ascendant. If it were me, I think I would spend the money to get my birth certificate corrected; this should be simple if your mother is still living, perhaps just a little harder if she is not.

Marriage certificates can be more difficult to change, especially if your mother is deceased. Again, if it were me, I would look into this and at the least learn what my options are. If it can be fixed, it will be easier to do so before the consulate gives you a hard time about it.

From what I have read, the Italian bureaucracy on the whole has a real hangup about names and their usage in a consistent manner throughout a citizen's life. In the US, it is not unusual to find a single individual's driver's license, social security card, passport, and library card each having a different variation of that person's name. I am told that you would never see this kind of variation in official Italian documents; perhaps one of our resident Italian friends can speak to this issue.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”