Census Record Errors

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Census Record Errors

Postby KarenChristino » 20 Aug 2010, 18:27

I know others have mentioned this, but it's good to be aware of. My GGF's citizenship status on the 1920 U.S. Census is incorrect. He's listed as Naturalized (Na) in 1914 when he only submitted his papers (Declaration of Intent) in 1914. His 2nd wife is listed as Naturalized in 1900 -- when she couldn't even sign her own name on their marriage license in 1919. My dad said she never learned to speak English, so I don't think she could have been naturalized either.

Maybe they didn't understand the question, maybe the clerk was sloppy but I think we need to be cautious in drawing conclusions from the Census This information in their 1905 New York State Census listing is correct.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Census Record Errors

Postby corrado » 26 Aug 2010, 12:38

The census records are exacly as you say, lots of us have seen this. Ages are off names wrong. It is self reporting. In genealogy you find a lot of wrong data. I have run accross tombstones that have wrong dates on them. The census is a good starting point but one should not take it as 100% accurate.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 26 Aug 2010, 12:57

Absolutely true. Some consulates are beginning to request census reports to support evidence of "no record," and this is unfortunate since they are so frequently wrong.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 30 Aug 2010, 03:45

I submitted one that says my ancestors natualized, but they didn't seem to pay any attention to it. I know they did not natualize. I remember as a child being told they bought their papes for $10 from the alderman. But they maintained there are american as apple pie. Of course I submitted the letter of no record or whatever that was, and here I sit waiting 1 year and counting...

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”