Mom's 2nd Marriage...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Mom's 2nd Marriage...

Postby VittorioE » 26 Aug 2010, 05:14

Hey kids... need some advice (what else is new)...

I am applying from Grandfather :arrow: Mom :arrow: Me. It's all pretty simple and straight forward.

I am the product of my mom's FIRST Marriage.

She is now Married for a Second Time and has her second husband's last name.

In theory this should have nothing to do with me... As I said, I am the product of her first marriage... BUT

When she fills out her Form 3... and I make a copy of her Passport for verification -

Instead of saying Saying:

Josephine Maria Orsini Maiden Name Emanuele MY last name

It is going to say Josephine Emanuele Caruzo. - No Middle No Maiden.

Why oh why do I feel this is going to cause problems.

Thoughts? I'm in the home stretch!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Mom's 2nd Marriage...

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Aug 2010, 09:25

It's a tough call. Your best option is to be prepared by having available a copy of your mom's divorce decree and the marriage license/certificate for her second marriage.

Worst case is that you don't have these items and the consulate asks you to obtain them. If you have them in advance, you eliminate the added delay.

PS: My next door neighbor is an Emanuele. Do you have relatives in Connecticut?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VittorioE » 26 Aug 2010, 14:11

UGH... for some reason Divorce decrees are so hard to obtain from NJ!!

I was thinking about having her do a Statement of One and The Same and getting it notarized... addressing some of the minor mistakes in some of the documents as well as her name...

What do you think?

PS - I know my relatives spent time in Connecticut before eventually settling in Newark. My great grandmother was from Connecticut.

VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VittorioE » 14 Sep 2010, 17:49

Hey guys... somewhat of an update... I was able to locate a certificed copy of my Mom's Divorce Decree... it's 20 pages long!! Does the entire thing need to be translated?!

Also, do you think I can get an Apostile on a document from 1981?

Carmine - you must know! :lol:

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 14 Sep 2010, 18:50

Too old, sorry. However, now that you have it, it will probably be easy to get a duplicate.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Sep 2010, 19:06

When I made my final submission in NYC late June, 2008, the only documents which required translations were my birth certificate, my marriage certificate, and my wife's birth certificate (we were married before April 27, 1983 thus her citizenship was automatic as soon as mine was approved). I was approved six weeks later, by the way..

I know some consulate websites as well as the paid "help" lines say that everything must be translated, but I do not believe this is accurate and - considering the cost involved - I would suggest you not bother with documents other than your own until the consular official makes it absolutely clear which translations are required and which are not.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VittorioE » 14 Sep 2010, 19:28

Okay... so silly since this has no affect on MY line... She was divorced long after I was born... and it in no way affects my leitimacy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”