Did I Renounce Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
blessed

Did I Renounce Citizenship

Postby blessed » 26 Aug 2010, 13:41

I was born in Colombia S.A. and became a US Citizen on 1990
Did I renounce citizenship or is it true that it only applies to itakians born in Italy? A source says that for a foreign born to renounce must do so before a consular authority.
Please advise if anyone knows. I don;t want to spend the money applying and then find I don;t qualify Please.
Thank you

mler
Master
Master

Re: Did I Renounce Citizenship

Postby mler » 26 Aug 2010, 16:04

Yes, you did renounce. A foreign-born person can only renounce in his country of birth by doing so before a consular authority. If he naturalizes in another country, however, he renounces.

Doesn't mean you can't become a citizen, though. Check with your consulate on the form to complete and the procedure to follow if you want to reacquire citizenship lost through naturalization.

blessed

Postby blessed » 27 Aug 2010, 01:21

So, the mere naturalization means lost of citizenship? even for a foreign born. That is interesting I guess the other sources are wrong then, I wonder where they are getting this information.
Basically I lost my citizenship of birth (Colombia) and the Italian as well. So I guess I am an American all the way. (LOL)
Blessings

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Aug 2010, 12:16

The current United States Oath of Allegiance reads:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD

It seems explicit that you have renounced all other citizenships. I assume you were not a minor when you became a US citizen?

Also, you may qualify for a short and relatively easy path to reacquisition; I'm not certain about this one, but it is worth looking into:

[quote]
Reacquisition of Italian Citizenship

According to Italian law individuals born in Italy who automatically lost Italian citizenship by acquiring U.S. citizenship before August 16th 1992 are eligible, under certain conditions, for reacquisition of Italian citizenship.

1. The following documentation is required:
- proof of residency in the jurisdiction of this Consular Office (driver’s licence and
utility bill such as electricity or phone bill).
- birth certificate;
- marriage certificate and divorce decree, if applicable (if they occurred in the
United States, please consult our website under “Vital Recordsâ€
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 27 Aug 2010, 13:27

Not too bad being a US citizen. :D Many people would love to have the opportunity. Are you certain that you did indeed lose your Colombian citizenship? That would depend on the citizenship law in Colombia.

Despite the wording of the Oath of Allegience, Italy today does not consider naturalizing to be a renunciation of Italian citizenship. Unfortunately, that only applies to naturalizations that took place after the 1992 law went into effect.

The information you posted from the other web page is not incorrect; it is simply incomplete because it does not address situations such as yours.

Carmine is absolutely right; you have a clear and easy citizenship path. All it takes is 200 Euro and a trip to Italy.

blessed

Postby blessed » 13 Sep 2010, 01:04

Yes, I have read yhis however yhis says those who are "born" in Italy, I was not so...I am not entirily sure this applies to me. That is why I am so confused.
Thank You

blessed

Postby blessed » 13 Sep 2010, 01:08

By the way Yes I have lost my Colombian citizenship indeed. I have spoken to the Colombian embassy and I have been told so...that's funny isn't it?
Do I have to actually live in italy and for how long????
Thanks

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”