Extended Visa

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Extended Visa

Postby jennabet » 02 Sep 2010, 21:42

I was recognized in 2001 and have lived in Italy. My companion will be applying for an extended Visa so he can return to Italy with me and then apply for citizenship after three years because his grand-father was born there. How long after the Visa is isued by the consulate does he have to set up residency in Italy? I'm assuming it would be six months to a year but can anyone confirm this? Grazie.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Extended Visa

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Sep 2010, 00:11

jennabet, I suspect that you will not find anyone here who can answer this question.

Depending on the alignment of the stars and planets, you may find what you are looking for at the ExpatsInItaly boards: http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/index.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 03 Sep 2010, 06:13

Hmmmm. So they read the Crystal Ball on that site then? LOL

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 03 Sep 2010, 19:45

Visas are usually good for one year, meaning you can arrive in Italy at any time within that year (elective residency, right?). The visa will expire after one year which is normal, but you will be required to have a permesso di soggiorno in order to legally remain in the country (if staying beyond 90 days). Johnny is right in referring you to expats, as there will be someone there that probably has an answer to any question that you might have.

Edited to clarify that the 'you' is referring to your companion. Good luck to you with all of your planning for a new life in Italy. :D

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Sep 2010, 19:51

jennabet wrote:Hmmmm. So they read the Crystal Ball on that site then? LOL

In the sense that the entire forum is filled with and, essentially, designed for non-Italians residing in Italy.

So, yes, there are a lot of people there who are intimately familiar with Visa, PdiS, residenza, and similar problems.

Of course, now that kontessa has joined the fun here, maybe the pendulum will swing a bit in our direction. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”