obtaining italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

obtaining italian citizenship

Postby scannavino » 04 Sep 2010, 03:19

My name is Linda Derin. my maiden name is Scannavino. I born March 15, 1947. My father's parents were both born in Ragusa Sicily. They would be my grandparents.

My grandfather, Giovanni Scannavino was born September 22, 1885. He married Giuseppa Brugaletta born in 1896. Both giovanni and josephine were born in Sicily. but they moved to Argentina and then they were married in Argentina too. (1912).......They came to the USA on Oct 7, 1920 and had my dad in 1928.

Do I qualify for duel citizenship??....My grandfather Giovanni has a social security number if that's any help.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: obtaining italian citizenship

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Sep 2010, 09:37

Linda,

The single most important question is, did your grandfather renounce his Italian citizenship before your father was born? In other words, did he naturalize either in the US or in Argentina prior to xxxxx 1928?

Where in the US did Giovanni reside with his family? Do you have any information about where he lived in Argentina, when he arrived there, etc?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Sep 2010, 09:48

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Sep 2010, 10:07

PS: If the above is your Giovanni, then it appears that a Certificate of Arrival (no. 2-405599?) was issued on February 4, 1936. A Certificate of Arrival was required in order to file a Declaration of Intent to become a US citizen and actual naturalization usually followed from one to five years later.

So, all in all, if this is your Giovanni, then I would say that a) he was still Italian when he came to the US, b) he did become a naturalized US citizen (or at least began the process), and c) he did so after your father's birth.

Which means, yes, you almost certainly qualify for Italian citizenship jus sanguinis as this is always the biggest hurdle. Congrats!
Carmine

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Sep 2010, 12:20

This looks really good. I think, too, that if you get your gf's declaration, petition and oath, they would show that he was still Italian when he came to the U.S., so all you would need from Argentina is their marriage certificate.

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 04 Sep 2010, 15:48

Carmine You are such a big help on here!!! You said that y grandfather became an American citizen before I was born in 1936, I was born in 1947; my father was born 1928, is that okay? Also, my mother came from an Irish family would that have any impact on the duel citizenship?

Giovanni and his family resided in West New York, NJ. This is where my whole family was born and raised....On the marriage certificate I have of Giovanni and Josephine it's all in spanish and it's like a book. It has many pages. Also, instead of spelling Giovanni they spelled his name Juan and Josefina....I assume they spell it like that because they lived in the spanish speaking country. And yes, I have the address of where they Lived in Buenos Aires too.......

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 04 Sep 2010, 15:51

Yes, that is my Giovanni on all the ellis island documents you posted!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Sep 2010, 16:48

It's ok that your mother is Irish; you still qualify because you inherit from your dad who was born before his father renounced. Will you be using the Newark consulate. They are good to work with, but set up an appointment asap. I believe there is a fairly long wait.

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 04 Sep 2010, 18:47

Thank you "mler" and Carmine! What a big help you are! Finally, what documents would I need to pursue getting the duel citizenship. I feel like this is going to be very hard. I don't have my dad's birth certificate. I would have to get a new one. I do have his death cert from 2004, but his mom's maiden name is spelt wrong. And I do have the marriage cert of my grandparents from Argentina in 1912, but it's all in spanish.....UGH..

So all I have:

My birth cert. (NJ- 3/15/1947)

My dad's death cert. (has his mom's maiden name spelt wrong)

My grandparents marriage cert. from 1912 in Argentina. . . .

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Sep 2010, 21:16

Much depends on the consulate at which you are applying, but it is probably a good idea to try to get documents from both the citizen and non-citizenship line. If, however, you are missing a document from the non-citizenship line, it probably not a big deal.

You will need newly issued documents because all documents with the exception of naturalization papers and documents issued in Italy require apostilles, and these usually cannot be obtain unless they are recently issued. All non-Italian documents (naturalization documents excepted) need to be translated into Italy, so the Italian marriage certificate is no bigger an issue than are documents in English. I've highlighted the essential documents.

GF bc from Italy
GM bc from Italy
marriage certificate (translated with apostille)
GF naturalization papers OR proof of non-naturalization
GF death certificate (trans. and apost)
GM death certificate

Father's birth certificate (tr. and ap)
Mother's birth certificate (tr. and ap)
Parents' marriage certificate (tr and ap)
Father's death certificate (if applicable) (tr and ap)
Mother's death certificate (if applicable) (tr and ap)
Declaration of Living Ascendent if your father is still living OR
Declaration for a Deceased Ascendent if he is no longer living.

Your birth certificate (tr. and ap)
Your marriage certificate (tr and ap)
Spouse's birth certificate (tr and ap)
Similar documents for your children if they are also applying.

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 04 Sep 2010, 21:54

Is VitalCheck a good way to get the documents?? How would I get official copies translated into Italian??

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Sep 2010, 22:09

I sent for my own documents and apostilles, but many use Vital Check. The consulate may list recommended translators, and some people on this site can recommend ones they have used.

I did my own tranlations (with help from DH) and they were accepted in both Newark and NYC. Templates of various documents can be found at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”