Impressed With Quick Reponse From USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Impressed With Quick Reponse From USCIS

Post by jennabet »

I sent a letter to USCIS on August 2 asking for a no records search. I received an answer today, September 7. Copy has a raised seal and indicates both the GGF and GF were never naturalized. However, the GGF did file a Declaration of Intent in 1903 when the GF was nine years old and we have a copy of it from Cameron County, PA but Cameron County also does not have any record of either of them becoming naturalized. Can anyone provide me with some advice as how to go forward with this because these dates were before 1906, the year that USCIS started keeping records on naturalization. Would I be able to prove to SF consulate that Italian nationality was not lost based on what I have so far? By the way, the grand-father died suddenly in 1926 at the age of 31. We have a copy of his obituary. I think, had he lived, he would have become naturalized at some point.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Impressed With Quick Reponse From USCIS

Post by Gianna75010 »

I'm happy you got a quick response from the USCIS. I was wondering how you contacted the USCIS to request the statement of no records. I emailed the USCIS genealogy division a few weeks ago and haven't heard back. Today I called the USCIS and they said I needed to send a letter to the Records Division in DC to request the statement of no records. Is that where you sent your request?
JLDeLuca

Post by JLDeLuca »

Also, did you start with a request to USCIS for naturalization document? I was trying to find out where to start that process online. Looks like here:
https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/
Thanks!
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I recieved this email when I requested a no record found.

February 2, 2010
Dear Sir/Madame:

Thank you for contacting the USCIS Genealogy Program. Your communication below indicates that you believe that your ancestor never became a naturalized U.S. citizen and that you want to request issuance of a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization.

Please note that the USCIS Genealogy Program does not process requests for a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization. In order for you to provide proof that your ancestor never became a United States citizen, you can request a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization.

Per the USCIS Genealogy Program web page at www.uscis.gov/genealogy, in order to obtain a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization, you must forward a request to the USCIS Records Services Branch for an agency decision to issue a certification of non-existence. There are no fees for this service. But it is important that all such letters contain information to specifically identify the immigrant. For example, requests must contain the immigrant’s name (including all variants and aliases), date of birth, place of birth, and as much information as possible about when and where the immigrant arrived in or lived in the United States. Names of immediate immigrant relatives can also be helpful. In all cases the immigrant must be deceased. If the immigrant’s birth date is less than 100 years before the request date, requests for certification of non-existence must include a copy of the immigrant’s death certificate. Requests for this service must be forwarded in writing to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204

To obtain additional information for individuals that need documentary evidence of citizen or alien status to support a foreign application for dual citizenship, hit control and click to visit on the following link (or copy and paste it into your browser):

www.uscis.gov/portal/s...18190aRCRD
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Thank you very much for publishing the email from the USCIS regarding letters of non-existence. Has anyone received a letter of non-existence of a naturalization record for an ancestor that had an A-File (but no C-file) with the USCIS?

I researched a few of my ancestors through the USCIS Genealogy program. One came back with no records on file and info on how to obtain a letter of non-existence (this letter just came in the mail yesterday after my post on how to request the letter). The other 2 came back with A-files but no reference of non-existence letters. I hope they will issue a non-existence letter if there is an A-file, otherwise I will have problems with my request for citizenship.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I sent my letter to Department Homeland Security Records Operations Branch. I provided detailed information about the immigrant such as birthdate, date and place of marriage, name of spouse, residence in USA, employment, date of death. I also included the names of his parents and older siblings born in Italy and younger siblings born in USA. And I also sent the names of two local people who acted as witnesses for the immigrant. This must have satisfied the requirements of the Record Operations Branch because they responded in just under five weeks.