Another Citizenship Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sdm7001

Another Citizenship Question

Postby sdm7001 » 13 Sep 2010, 22:07

Hello all ... I appreciate your patience with me and my questions.

I know that this question has been asked over and again but I needed to confirm just one little item that I am still unclear of even after looking at all your posts regarding dual citizenship.

I am writing to ask for some clarification regarding application for Italian citizenship through jure sanguinis.

My great grandfather was born in Roccalumera, Messina, Sicilia, Italy, about 1864 and emigrated to the United States in 1914.

My great grandmother was born in Agrigento, Agrigento, Sicilia, Italy about 1880 and emigrated to the United States in 1916.

They were married in Sicily before moving to the United States.

My grandfather was born in the United States in 1919 and my great grandfather naturalized in 1923. My mother was born in 1946 and I was born in 1966.

I am confident that I can trace my blood line but the item that concerns me most is my mother’s birth in 1946. From my understanding she could have inherited her Italian citizenship from her father because he got his from his father before his father naturalized in 1923. However, due to my mother's birth before 1948 I am concerned that she is unable to pass her Italian citizenship down to me and my brother.

I would really love to become an Italian citizen for pride in my heritage. Any information you can pass along would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again for your assistance,

Scott

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Another Citizenship Question

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Sep 2010, 02:17

My grandfather was born in the United States in 1919 and my great grandfather naturalized in 1923.

... and I was born in 1966.

These are the only statements that matter.

Your grandfather inherited the right to Italian citizenship from his father. Your mother inherited the right to Italian citizenship from her father and, because you were born on or after January 1, 1948, you inherited the right to Italian citizenship from your mother.

In short, the question is not, "when was your mother born?" but rather "when did your mother give birth?" Prior to January 1, 1948, Italian citizenship was passed only by the father. Your mother most definitely inherited citizenship and was able to pass that citizenship to all of her children born on/after 1/1/1948 - presumably all of them, since she was herself born in 1946. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

sdm7001

Re: Another Citizenship Question

Postby sdm7001 » 14 Sep 2010, 14:58

Thank you so very much. The question about my mother's birth was the only question I had.
I really appreciate your assistance!
Scott
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”