Do I still qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LAgal

Do I still qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis?

Postby LAgal » 16 Sep 2010, 17:39

I am in the process of collecting all the documents/paperwork to schedule an appointment with the LA consulate but after reading some different websites I am now unsure if I qualify and wonder if anyone can tell me if I do?

I am applying through the lineage of my maternal grandmother who was born in Italy. She and my gf emigrated to Argentina in 1948 and my mother was born there a few years later. Their entire family then emigrated to the US and were naturalized here in the late '60s, while my mother was a minor. I was born here some years later.

Do I still qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis or is it considered that my mother renounced her Italian citizenship and I no longer qualify? I'd appreciate if someone could please clarify that for me. Thank you in advance for your time.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do I still qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguini

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Sep 2010, 18:22

My suspicion is that your mother lost her rights to Italian citizenship when she naturalized as an American citizen.

But, cases such as this are quirky enough - possibly involving the laws of more than one country - that I would suggest you request clarification from your consulate.

In my opinion, you should describe the situation in writing as completely as possible and then mail it to the attention of the Consul General. His office will forward it to the citizenship office thus possibly ensuring that they respond to you in a timely manner.

Dott. Nicola Faganello, Console Generale
Consolato Generale d'Italia a Los Angeles
12400 Wilshire Blvd # 300
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

LAgal

Re: Do I still qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguini

Postby LAgal » 17 Sep 2010, 07:17

Thank you for your response. I am definitely getting in touch with the consulate to see if I qualify.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”