SHOULD I ASK THE CONSULATE.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

SHOULD I ASK THE CONSULATE.

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 18:07

. I need your advice once again since you are pretty much the authority and I feel like I should be paying you! I contacted Abtran. the appointment and information service for the italian consulate. and I told them I have been getting negative responses from Many communes in italy as far as certificates of birth go. Abtran told me to write an email to the consulate asking for advice and advising them of my situation. I want to know if you think this is a good idea and is it safe. are they going to just pretty much tell me to mess off and to bad? Should I say the records may have been destroyed and what will you accept? let me know what you think.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: SHOULD I ASK THE CONSULATE.

Postby kontessa » 17 Sep 2010, 19:09

I would NOT email the consulate and tell them about the troubles you are having finding a birth record. It is too easy for them to dismiss your case in an email when they don't have your documents to reference in front of them. To be fair to yourself, you should present your case, and then let the consular official tell you what can/should be done.

I would do everything that I could to obtain a document that could be used to show your ancestor's birth, especially if they are in your direct line. I'm not familiar with your case so I don't know if you have a baptismal certificate? Put yourself in the position of an individual (a stranger) that must review your case, and that doesn't know anything about you or your family. They NEED to be able to make a birth to birth connection between the generations in your family.

Have you hired someone to go to the state archives for you, or someone on the ground (local) who can go to some of these places and ask for the information?

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 19:15

We think the church was destroyed during ww2 . It all took place in Naples where most things were destroyed. If you have someone or a name of a service to do it for mr please post the information!

Thanks
Dave

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 17 Sep 2010, 19:50

sceaminmonkey wrote:We think the church was destroyed during ww2 . It all took place in Naples where most things were destroyed. If you have someone or a name of a service to do it for mr please post the information!

Thanks
Dave

'We think'?? Who is 'we'? Where is your concrete information coming from? Have you received official 'no record exists' from the comunes that you requested the records from? (I can't recall.)

As for services, there are a number of them, not sure if they are mentioned on this forum. Search for other threads with same topic. There may even be researchers that post on this forum! I do know a nice fellow running italymondo.com...you'd have to inquire about his services.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 19:59

The we is me and my family. Yes one of the communes I contacted for another Birth certificate stated it was destroyed. And I say we because we think he was baptized in a specific church that was close to the street he lived and was born on which we know was completely destroyed during WWII. one of the people I payed for services from said they could not find it at the archive in naples but has not yet sent me a letter.

Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gianna75010 » 17 Sep 2010, 20:02

I agree with kontessa that you should NOT email the consulate before your appointment to ask about the missing document. I think presenting your case in person and explaining in person the situation is probably the best way to go. I mainly say this because I attempted to email the Newark consulate for 2 quick questions before my appointment. They were very simple (e.g. do I need a death certificate for someone born in 1888?) but the email was useless. The response I got was basically "You can ask those questions at your appointment. In the event that you need further documents or need to amend documents, you can present that at another appointment in the future." So based on my experience, you will probably not get any useful information before your appointment and it may actually give them a reason to cancel your appointment (I'm not sure they could or would do this but I guess it's possible).

BTW, I'm curious as how you got an appointment if you don't have the birth certificate from Italy. For Newark I couldn't make an appointment without the birth certificate and certificate of citizenship for my ancestor from Italy.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 17 Sep 2010, 20:11

I can't speak for the monkey, :lol: , but I don't think NYC requires you to submit anything ahead of time.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 17 Sep 2010, 20:13

Gianna,
I made two appointments in Newark (one for each of my parents) over email w/o any documents at all. When did you make your appointment? Perhaps this is when they had fewer staff or were not a full consulate. But in my experience, they no longer require the submission of documents.

Re: asking the Newark Consulate specific questions, I had a similar experience when I emailed them inquiring whether my father would even qualify since his direct line ancestor naturalized in 1890 when his son (the next in line) was a minor. I assumed that if he didn't even qualify, they would let me know so they wouldn't waste their own time. I got essentially the same reply you did - that questions would be answered at the appointment.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 20:14

In new York all you have to do is call abtran and ask for an appointment. You get it about a year later and that's it.

Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gianna75010 » 17 Sep 2010, 20:30

I originally email the Newark consulate on March 10, 2010 to request an appointment. I never heard back from them so I called to follow up. Then they told me I had to fill out an application which is on their website and mail it in. I sent it in around the end of March/beginning of April. I didn't hear anything back until May 7, 2010 when I got an email telling me that my appointment had been scheduled.

Also, sceaminmonkey, I just wanted to give you some encouragement and tell you to be persistent and not give up. I know that I've had days in the past year when everything seemed impossible and it looked like citizenship would never happen, but then there are also days in which I got good news or documents arrived and things seemed more positive. Just stay positive and keep trying!!!

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 20:37

thanks. I almost teared when you said that. I have been trying to do this since maybe late feb 2010. the frustrating part is that all of my documents from America are perfect ( almost) the problem is that these two birth certificates For my GGM and GGF are the only things missing. I will def keep at it! I wont give up at least until the italian consulate pretty much tells me to f*$% off.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 19 Sep 2010, 00:34

I think this is a question that a lot of us have: what to do if NO record exists, whether it was destroyed or never created in the first place. I am still looking for my GF birth record. In the meantime I'm also trying to find everything else I can to establish him and hope that will help if all else fails.

We had a similar situation with my mother-in-law in the U.S. To collect Social Security against her former husband's history, they required her divorce record. They were divorced in the Dominican Republic and she had a copy. Social Security would NOT accept a copy. And it seemed very challenging to track down the original record, also none of us speak Spanish. But after a number of calls and my husband being assertive, the official agreed that if we provided family Affidavits along with the copy they would accept it. The Italian Consulates sounds strict, but I'm hoping that they will be a little flexible in the face of impossibility. It's very frustrating when they can't/won't respond, though.

So I would say collect as much documentation as you can that the church was destroyed, records destroyed, letter from the researcher in Italy, any other records, whatever you can to support your case.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”