Has any Consulate accepted baptismal in lieu of birth cert?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Has any Consulate accepted baptismal in lieu of birth cert?

Postby sforza » 17 Sep 2010, 20:56

I have a baptismal but no birth cert for my US-born direct line GF. I am preparing the papers to seek a court order to get one created. According to the law in the state where he was born (PA), the local judge has jurisdiction. Hopefully the judge will exercise discretion here, since PA law only appears to contemplate the delayed registration of a birth of a dead person by the parent or a witness to the birth itself. Unfortunately, I can not meet either of these conditions.

Soooooo, if my legal action fails, does anyone know of any Consulate that accepted a certified baptismal cert of a US-born person in lieu of a birth cert? Even more to the point, has anyone tried and succeeded with a baptismal cert in Newark?

If I have to go this route, my next step is to research how to obtain the Church's equivalent of an Apostille for the baptismal cert (if such a thing exists) - perhaps by the archdiosese or even Rome?.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Has any Consulate accepted baptismal in lieu of birth ce

Postby sceaminmonkey » 17 Sep 2010, 22:39

as I have to go this route to here is what I have been advised. If a baptismal certificate is what is available in Lieu of a birth certificate then a letter from the diocese of that church will be enough. This is what I have been told but I can not confirm as others have not shared their experience with using a baptismal certificate. I hope it works out for you!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”