Trying fathers side . Information is scarce! Need Help!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Trying fathers side . Information is scarce! Need Help!!

Postby beauac » 17 Sep 2010, 21:55

So I am now trying my fathers side to get citizenship. I have my personal records of course, and my fathers and my grandfathers. It gets slightly tricky with my ggf. I have his death certificate and a no records found in place of his birth certificate from nyc. But I can not find any information on my gggrandfather, the one who came from italy. On my great grandfathers death certificate it says father, Louis Caruso, Italy, but thats it. Most of the family is dead and my father knows virtually nothing. Also his wife was adopted from Italy and the orphanage burnt down taking all the records with it so I probably will never get her birth certificate. Do you absolutely need all of the records they ask for even if you can prove lineage without them?

My last idea to find information about the one who came from Italy is to search the naturalization records to see if he ever applied to become a citizen. Does anyone know where to search this? Also if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to help me that would be great.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Trying fathers side . Information is scarce! Need Help!!

Postby mler » 17 Sep 2010, 22:04

You can sign up for a trial membership at www.ancestry.com It gives you two free weeks to search without a fee. You may well find the information you seek there.

If you cannot find your ggfather's birth certificate, try to locate his baptismal certificate from parish records. You will need to somehow demonstrate that your ggf was actually born in the U.S. Do his other records show this?

Don't worry too much about the non-Italian line. Those records often are not needed.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Trying fathers side . Information is scarce! Need Help!!

Postby mler » 17 Sep 2010, 22:15

Family Search found four records for Luigi Caruso:

1. Luigi CARUSO - Ancestral File
Gender: M Birth/Christening: 7 Feb 1860 Sinopoli, Reggio Calabria, Italy

2. Luigi CARUSO - Ancestral File
Gender: M Birth/Christening: Abt 1789 Sinopoli, Reggio Calabria, Italy

3. Luigi CARUSO - Ancestral File
Gender: M Birth/Christening: < 1859<, Termini, Cicilia, Italia>

4. Luigi CARUSO - Ancestral File
Gender: M Birth/Christening: 29 Nov 1908 Scigliano, Calabria, Cosenza, Italy

Check out this page:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... esults.asp

If you click on each name, you can find the names of their parents. Perhaps you'll recognize some family names among them. If you then click on Family, you may find names of wives and children. (I believe the last one on this list died in Italy, so not your gggrandfather.)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”