name change : required documentation?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
timo
Rookie
Rookie

name change : required documentation?

Postby timo » 18 Sep 2010, 13:49

My grandfather, born in Italy, now deceased, changed his name slightly when he was about 30, on or about the time of his naturalization. He moved his given first name at birth into the middle-name position, keeping the surname intact, and took Thomas as his new "American" first name.

What documentation of this name change will be required in the dual-citizenship application, and who would issue it? Would it come from nara.gov?

Thanks

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: name change : required documentation?

Postby kontessa » 18 Sep 2010, 19:00

timo wrote:What documentation of this name change will be required in the dual-citizenship application, and who would issue it? Would it come from nara.gov?

Document requirements may vary according to which consulate you are using. I have read of people having to provide a copy of court documents when a name has been changed legally. Others have been lucky to have the name change documented on naturalization paperwork. Some not so fortunate have been left to amend/correct the changes. I would think that only one of these would be issued by NARA - naturalization paperwork. Others with more knowledge about this can chime in.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 18 Sep 2010, 20:05

Naturalization Documents cannot be changed. They are archived information. You can request a letter stating that "changes cannot be made" from the NARA office that issued your copies. You can show this to the consulate at the time of your appoinment.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 19 Sep 2010, 08:08

Unless I am mistaken, the OP was not wanting to change naturalization records, but looking for documentation that shows that a name had been changed. Just to clarify...there is a section in the naturalization records that allows for this, and many people are able to use this to support the fact that the original name had been changed.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 19 Sep 2010, 12:38

kontessa is correct. You probably won't see this on the Certificate of Naturalization, though. Try to get the preliminary papers. The change may be noted there.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 19 Sep 2010, 13:00

My mistake, I misread the question. Thanks Kontessa

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Sep 2010, 14:45

Actually, what you will often see on the Declaration of Intent and on the Petition for Naturalization is the applicant's "new" name at the top of the document and his "original" name in the section which details how and when he arrived in the US.

My understanding is that consulate's have accepted this as adequate documentation of name change.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

timo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby timo » 21 Sep 2010, 18:48

Just received good news from NARA that grandfather's name change is recorded as part of the naturalization record.

But just received bad news from Vital Records. The grandparents' names on both my mother's and father's certificates are slightly mangled :(

Paternal grandfather's middle initial has "R" not "G". Thinking that this was possibly a misreading of someone penmanship, I called the corrections department to inquire, and was told the R is clear as day.

Will the middle-initial discrepancy require a court-ordered amendment to the record? I found an excellent walk-through of that legal process on this site, but am hoping the long walk won't be necessary.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 21 Sep 2010, 19:21

amendaments need to be done anyway, even if the naturalization record has the americanized name on it.
The way to amend US civil records, changes from state to state.
For sure you always need a birth certificate of your ancestor on international format, so it also can be read in english too.

Here there is a sample, in order to have an idea

http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=http ... 29,r:5,s:0

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

timo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby timo » 23 Sep 2010, 12:12

Thank you Riccardo for the picture of the document. That is always helpful.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 23 Sep 2010, 12:13

It was my pleasure.
Happy to help
bye Riccardo

timo wrote:Thank you Riccardo for the picture of the document. That is always helpful.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”