Help: name changed between generations

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Munafo

Help: name changed between generations

Postby Munafo » 21 Sep 2010, 22:05

My great grandfather Francesco Munafo went by Frank Munoff on some of his US documents although he never actually changed his name. He passed on this Americanized last name to all his children--the last name Munoff is on their birth certificates. To address this I had my grandfather write a letter testifying that he is his father's son even though the last names vary somewhat and we had the letter notarized. Any chance that this would be enough for my dual citizenship application? If not, what else can I do?

Also, my great grandfather's last name is misspelled on his naturalization papers--Munofo instead of Munafo. Do I have to file a correction for this? How do I do that for NY state?

Any advice, info or shared experiences greatly appreciated. I will be applying to the Italian consulate in LA.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Help: name changed between generations

Postby mler » 22 Sep 2010, 01:21

I have no experience with this type of discrepancy, but I do know that you cannot amend naturalization documents. Since your ggf's name change was carried on from generation to generation, it seems impractical, if not impossible, to attempt amendments. An affidavit from your grandfather might do it depending on the consulate.

smasters

Postby smasters » 29 Sep 2010, 06:12

see the answer I just posted to 'Ande' re: Name Discrepancies on Documents (in this forum)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Sep 2010, 11:01

The Italian government supports a process called "Autocertificazione" which allows an Italian citizen to attest to a fact in writing and gives great weight (the supposition of truth) to such attestations. It helps immensely that your fatheer is alive and able to make such an autocertificazione.

My only suggestion would be that you consider re-doing the document in standard autocertificazione, if there is such a thing.

See http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... ficazione/

and section labeled "L'Autocertificazione" at http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... dulistica/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”