Question Regarding Obtaining Italian Nationality

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
GrecoCalabrese

Question Regarding Obtaining Italian Nationality

Postby GrecoCalabrese » 22 Sep 2010, 00:15

Forgive me if this has already been covered before, I am an American citizen, Of Greek-Italian Heritage currently living in Greece.

I have had the desire for many years to obtain Greek citizenship, but have run into several problems in Greece with technicalities, my fathers family name change, and the problem of having to spend many years in court to get these things resolved, even if I get the nationality, I will then have to serve in the Greek military for 1 year and not be able to work until completing that. I very much want to have the option to live and work in the EU.

This has been very discouraging for me, and recently I began researching a bit online about the possibility of obtaining Italian nationality from my mothers side. My mother is an Italian-American woman born in Brooklyn NY, both my Grandparents were also born and raised in Brooklyn, but their parents were all Italian born and came from Calabria and Campania regions of Italy.

I understand that I am eligible to apply if I can connect myself to either of my Maternal Great Grandfathers. With the appropriate documents so I had a few general questions:

1.In the south of Italy, were these records typically well kept? (birth, marriage) because in many parts of Greece this was a problem

2. I understand that if my great grandfather became a naturalized citizen before the birth of my grandfather or grandmother, I am not eligible, I will have to confirm this for sure, but I was wondering, did most Italian immigrants who went through Ellis Island get easily naturalized? I know for a fact that my great grandparents could barely even speak English, so I was wondering if the great majority of Italian-Americans denied because of this reason?

3. If there is no record of naturalization to be found, does that mean I am basically in the clear to apply?

Thank you very much in advance.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Question Regarding Obtaining Italian Nationality

Postby mler » 22 Sep 2010, 01:17

You seem to have a basic understanding of the process, but there are several things you must consider.

Dates are very important in determining eligibility. A woman was not permitted to pass citizenship to her children before 1948. Therefore, if your mother was born before that date, you would be limited only to your maternal grandfather's line.

Most people have no difficulty obtaining records from Italy, and if you have accurate information regarding names and dates, you should have no problem.

Generally it's better if your ggf naturalized (after your grandfather's birth of course) because it is easier to document. Many immigrants in the early part of the 20th century did naturalize, and the process was not onerous. Others did not, and there is no way to know this for sure until you do your research. If your ggf did not naturalized, you will have to prove this to the satisfaction of the consulate, and proving a negative is more difficult, as many here would attest.

You must, of course, obtain records from each generation along with apostilles and translations. You must also amend documents with discrepancies in the spelling of names and date errors.

There is no time like the present to begin. If you have any specific questions, with which we can help, you'll need to provide us with more specific information.

Hope this helps.

GrecoCalabrese

Re: Question Regarding Obtaining Italian Nationality

Postby GrecoCalabrese » 22 Sep 2010, 01:28

Thank you very much mler

I guess I have 2 shots of this, My mother was indeed born after 1948

So I have to keep my fingers crossed that 1 of my maternal great grandfathers did not get naturalized before having my grandma or grandpa.

Unfortunately my Grandfather is dead and my Grandmother does not have very specific knowledge about his father, so I will hope that she has the right details about her father and I can start the process through him.

I will speak with my grandmother and get more details, and get back to you on that, You have really been a big help.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”