Question Regarding Mothers marriage.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
GrecoCalabrese

Question Regarding Mothers marriage.

Postby GrecoCalabrese » 22 Sep 2010, 07:34

My mother and father got legally registered as married when I was 4 years old. My mother was married once before before she met my father for short time, and got divorced before, however after divorcing her first husband, she kept his surname as her registered name, and this name appears on my mother and fathers marriage license.

Will this disqualify me from obtaining Italian Nationality through my mother? All my mothers Grandparents were Italian citizens, and on the Marriage license her birth date and such matches her birth certificate, the only thing different is the surname.

Any advice?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question Regarding Mothers marriage.

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Sep 2010, 11:39

No, it won't disqualify you.

However, you will have to adequately document the situation by providing the marriage license/certificate for your mother's first marriage as well as her divorce certificate (which you would have needed anyway).

PS: I assume you were born on or after January 1, 1948?

PPS: Which of your mother's three surnames appears on your birth certificate?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

GrecoCalabrese

Re: Question Regarding Mothers marriage.

Postby GrecoCalabrese » 22 Sep 2010, 14:44

Yes, I am 28 years old, and on my birth certificate it contains a section "mothers maiden name" where her full maiden name is listed (Lento), and it also lists at the bottom "Signature of Parent" where it listed her as Mrs. with my fathers surname.

Thank you very much Carmine.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”