Italian apostille to use in U.S. court

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
desonia69

Italian apostille to use in U.S. court

Postby desonia69 » 23 Sep 2010, 12:39

Greetings. I am gathering the documents dual citizenship. I am writing to the comune in Arena (VV) in Calabria near Catanzaro for birth, marriage, and citizenship papers. I know that the American papers have the English spellings of first and some last names. When I amend the American records, I would like to have the Italian ones already apostillized so that the Italian records will be accpeted by the U.S. courts. I know the procedure to obtain an apostille for U.S. records. What is the procedure to apostillize an Italian record? I read that one must write the public prosecutor:
I Procurators della Reppublica
Ufficio Apostille,
but is this address at the comune, province, region, or state level?
Thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian apostille to use in U.S. court

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Sep 2010, 12:56

Interesting question.

For what it is worth, I spent six months trying to get New York State to make several corrections to my mother's birth certificate - both of her parent's names were mis-spelled and my mother's given name was not even on the certificate.

At any rate, New York State required her parent's Italian birth and marraige certificates along with certified translations. They did not require apostilles.

Your milage may vary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Munafo

Postby Munafo » 24 Sep 2010, 05:10

[quote="johnnyonthespot"]

For what it is worth, I spent six months trying to get New York State to make several corrections to my mother's birth certificate

So did it take 6 mos but you were able to get it done? I ask bcs I will be doing the same thing for a NY death certificate.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Sep 2010, 12:14

It took six months because we went around the block a few times; first I was told I would need to do XYZ and after submitting that they came back and said I would also need UV & W. Add in the extra time (and cost)required to get the certified translations done (I already had the Italian birth/marriage certificates), and time stretched out. Once I submitted exactly what they asked for, I had the corrected document in just a few weeks.

Let me say however that my mother is still living and although I did all the legwork, it was my mother who actually signed the application for ammendments. I don't know if it would have been more difficult if my mother were already deceased.

Also, as an aside, I set out to fix my mother's BC simply for the sake of posterity and because I felt that at age 84 she deserved to at the very least have a birth certificate with her name actually on it. My jus sanguinis application was through my father's line and the NYC consulate did not require documents from the non-direct line.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gianna75010 » 24 Sep 2010, 19:51

I had a NJ death certificate amended - the first name and year of birth were incorrect. The NJ vital statistics only required a certified translation of the italian birth certificate. They did not need an apostille. I would check with the agency who will make the amend before getting an apostille for Italy. It might not be necessary.

Munafo

Postby Munafo » 25 Sep 2010, 03:28

Where would I find info on making corrections to NYState civil records?
I don't see anything at the vital records site?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Sep 2010, 03:54

Munafo wrote:Where would I find info on making corrections to NYState civil records?
I don't see anything at the vital records site?

I was dealing with:

Corrections Unit
New York State Department of Health
PO Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-0602

General vital records email: vr@health.state.ny.us (remove the spaces)

A poor quality form used to request corrections can be downloaded: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... upUVKnPrQQ

Another form, for death certificate corrections: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... ZDpeixBbDQ

I used to have a telephone number, but no idea where it went to. Sorry.
Carmine

dava

Postby dava » 25 Oct 2010, 04:23

us naturalization apostille in the u.s. you have to make an appointment with the state official, but for information go here:

www.apostillepros.com

they can help you, they helped me.

desonia69 wrote:Greetings. I am gathering the documents dual citizenship. I am writing to the comune in Arena (VV) in Calabria near Catanzaro for birth, marriage, and citizenship papers. I know that the American papers have the English spellings of first and some last names. When I amend the American records, I would like to have the Italian ones already apostillized so that the Italian records will be accpeted by the U.S. courts. I know the procedure to obtain an apostille for U.S. records. What is the procedure to apostillize an Italian record? I read that one must write the public prosecutor:
I Procurators della Reppublica
Ufficio Apostille,
but is this address at the comune, province, region, or state level?
Thanks.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”