interesting paper on italian citizenship policy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

interesting paper on italian citizenship policy

Postby mike123 » 27 Sep 2010, 02:47

http://eudo-citizenship.eu/docs/EUDOcom-Italy.pdf

this paper I read on citizenship policy making mentions things like a 10 year minimum stay in italy to retire, as far as benefits go. is that true?

mler
Master
Master

Re: interesting paper on italian citizenship policy

Postby mler » 27 Sep 2010, 15:49

Thank you for posting the article--very informative. However, most of the discussion addresses citizenship law as it applies to those who immigrate to Italy without an Italian ancestor.

I did read the section on the 10-year minimum stay for benefits, but as far as I know, all Italian citizens who reside in Italy are eligible for health care as soon as they register as Italian residents.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Sep 2010, 16:15

mler wrote:I did read the section on the 10-year minimum stay for benefits...

I think this refers to what we in the US call the Social Security benefit system. More specifically, it may refer to Italy's policy of confering upon retirement-age individuals a minimum poverty-level social pension regardless of whether that person ever worked or contributed tax money into the system.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 28 Sep 2010, 00:01

At age 65, to be exact. Mostly unmarried women draw this sort of pension in Italy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”