Naturalization Docs, Need Help!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Naturalization Docs, Need Help!

Postby beauac » 27 Sep 2010, 20:44

With regard to the Naturalization documents. Just where do I look for them or get them? I do not know if my gggrandfather was ever naturalized or even applied. I only know his name right now and that he came from Italy and landed in Nyc, later coming to CT. Soon I will have his birth year and hopefully death year.

Searching the database at italiangen.org I come up with four or five hits but I have no idea if they are my relative or only the same name. Do I have to get all of them and see?

Thanks for any help on the process of obtaining the naturalization things.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Docs, Need Help!

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Sep 2010, 01:21

Hello and welcome! :-)

If you can provide us with some details (name, approx year of birth, approx year of immigration, spouse's name, childrens' names) maybe we can help you in your search...

T.

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 29 Sep 2010, 12:57

Right now I only know his name was Louis Caruso, and that he was born in Italy and came to the USA. His son was born in NYC in 1900. But soon in the next week or so I will have more information. Maybe then someone can help, I´ll bring the thread back up then. Thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Sep 2010, 15:47

beauac wrote:Right now I only know his name was Louis Caruso, and that he was born in Italy and came to the USA. His son was born in NYC in 1900. But soon in the next week or so I will have more information. Maybe then someone can help, I´ll bring the thread back up then. Thanks!

Searching for Louis/Luigi Caruso is going to be just a little easier than searching for William Smith in a typical big city telephone directory. So many listings; which one is my relative?

This is a case where every little bit of information will aide the search. What was Luigi's son's name? Approximately when was Luigi born? What was his wife's name? Did they have any other children besides the one born in 1900? What were their names and approximate birth years?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby beauac » 29 Sep 2010, 23:45

Thats the thing, I went to Nyc to get his sons (my ggf) birth certificate but it did not exist. Later on I found out that he had two other children who were born later when it was more common to report births, 1903 and 1906. So the next time I can go to Nyc I will look at these records and see what information it reveals about their father (my gggf).

But still once I have the information, where do I search? I don't know where he would have applied for naturalization or if he did at all. Is there a national naturlization database or something?

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 30 Sep 2010, 00:38

You can try footnote.com naturalizations with this link -- http://www.footnote.com/search.php?query[0]=naturalization&vs=3&s_given-name=&s_surname=>eq_year=<eq_year=&s_place=&nav=0&id=169098

They give you a free preview where you may be able to make out more details and I think they also have a free trial.

I did not find my GGF there or on Italiangen.org but actually on JewishGen! I have no idea why I looked there and can no longer reconstruct the search.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”