Parents Marriage Certificate Not Listed By Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Parents Marriage Certificate Not Listed By Consulate

Postby ande » 28 Sep 2010, 19:53

Hi All,
In reviewing the requirements from the Newark Consulate website under Mother Born in The United States it does not list parents marriage certificate. It lists grandparent's marriage certificates, birth and naturalization etc. but not MY parents marriage certificate.
Does anyone know this to be accurate or not?
Thanks, Ande

mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Parents Marriage Certificate Not Listed By Consulate

Postby mishy » 28 Sep 2010, 21:09

Hi Ande...I think your best bet will be to email the Newark Consulate and ask them.

How are you applying? You said on your Mothers side, but how far do you go back? Grandfather or Great Grandfather? Because I see that if you have to go back to great grandfather, then you will need it.

I will be applying at the Newark Consulate too, and going through my Mother>Grandfather. I did get my parents marriage certificate w/apostille because I thought it was needed. My brother who is applying at the Miami Consulate definately needed this document.

So to be on the safe side, email them. They are usually quick to respond. And I would also like to know their answer too!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Sep 2010, 21:24

There is nothing in Italian citizenship law which requires that you be a "legitimate" child and/or that your parents be married or ever were married.

Nevertheless, all consulates insist on receiving marriage licenses/certificates for the applicant (if applicable), his/her parents, grandparents, etc.

If the New Jersey consulate's site leaves out a generation from this requirement, it is almost certainly an error.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ande
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ande » 29 Sep 2010, 13:52

When I send for my birth certificate correction I'll try and have my parent's marriage certificate corrected as well.
Thanks, Ande

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”